Mouse Problems

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by Doyle, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Shock! I opened my motor compartment today to change the plugs and saw a mouse nest made out of installation from some of my wiring. I don't see any way he could have got in. Next year this motor will be surrounded by traps. It look fixable but it could have been worst.

Attached Files:

2. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    It's a good thing you found it before you hit the water. That stuff could have ended up in your carbs if the motor has started.

3. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    next winter pack the housing with dryer sheets. They cant stand the smell of it.

just remember to remove it in the spring.

4. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I hate those varmits!! I found turds scattered all over my boat one time and a hole chewed into my tackle bag. So I set traps in every corner of my boat, with no luck. Finally the next time I took it out on the water, he came flying out from under the deck and started running down the gunwale. He seen me scramble towards him and jumped in the water. I stopped the boat and went back and beat him into oblivion with a paddle as he helplessly tried to swim. :0a6: Now, I set probably 10 mouse traps in my garage to catch them before the take up residence in there.

5. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    I put mouse cubes in my boat when I cover it for the winter works good and they last all winter havent had any mice yet and I live in the country

6. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    lol i woke up at 3 am to my car horn blowing one time and i guess i lille mouse hoped up in there and chewed on the wires and in doing so manged to touch them together.it's a pain in the butt trying to figure out why yor horn is blowing at 3 am in you underwear.:)

7. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI

First off, the pain will go away if you remove the car and/or alarm from your underwear :blink:

Secondly, what was the car doing in your underwear, regardless of the time of day/night?.:eek: :eek:

LOL:p :rolleyes: :cool:

8. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    lol..well maybe i need to make myself more clear next time.:)

9. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    had a s-10 pickup once and left it parked for 2 weeks when i went on vacation. came back and found that the INSIDE of my air cleaner was packed with deer corn. only thing i can figure is mice crawled up through the exhaust into the engine and up through the carburator to store their stash.
    lol called the mechanics shop and he said it wasnt too uncommon an occurrence. he said he even had seen corn inside the cylinders of engine blocks.

10. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Mice are opportunists. I suggest poisen and stuffing all openings if possible with steel wool. Often in winter they are seeking shelter will take anything available. They can fit into a 1/4" hole so they can get into places you wouldnt imagine. They love wiring, why, who knows. I have a friend who goes to his local marina and has them seal his boat each year. If you have ever seen them fresh from the factory they are covered in a thick white plastic that resembles shrink rap. He puts bait inside and filles his bilge holes, etc with steel wool.

They do make good bait, but the damage/heath risks deter me from using them.

11. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Doyle,

I had the same problem with pack rats in my tractor. They would build a nest on top of the battery and chew on the cables. I gave them some of my blood thinner, (warfarin)... hadn't seen any more nest. ;)

12. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think the damage in my motor had to be a mouse because there isnt any size opening. I did also find 3or 4 full size walnuts in the boat. The closest walnut tree to me is 500 yds away. I dont know what brought those in. I dont see any damage in the boat. I guess that sleeping under a boat cover would be good.

13. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Just a reminder, Wafarin the common ingredient in rat poisen is neutralized by vitamin K. Most of your better (not Ol Roy) pet foods contain high levels of Vitamin K. If you feed your pets outside buffet style then controling rodents will be nearly impossible. You poisen them and then cure them. A regular rodent Munchhausen syndrome.