Mounting transducer on fiberglass boat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Bill in SC, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Hi folks,
    What is the proper procedure to attach a transducer mount to a fiberglass boat transom? I hate to be drilling holes in my transom. Also, from the bottom of my boat to the actual floor, there is about a five inch void, I'm assuming filled with foam. I don't think a screw would have any meat to catch on. I could actually fiberglass the mount to the boat, but was wondering wht the easiest and most correct method would be.
    Bil in SC

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I just drilled pilot holes, filed them with a marine sealant, and used stainless steel scres to fasten the mount to the boat. Now, I wont say this is the right way, but sure is nice when you go to replace the transducers. lOL

3. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    A transducer can be mounted inside the hull on a fiber glass boat. Clean an area on the hull and epoxy it down. You must be sure there are no air bubbles in the epoxy between the transducer and the hull.

4. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    thats the way i did mine

5. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    the same with me i put screws right trough the fiberglass back there were you need to be putting it you should have more then foam an fiberglass when i drilled mine out there was wood as well

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Keep in mind that I said there was a foam filled area between the bottom of the hull and the floor. The foam and it's tiny air pockets/bubbles would probably throw the instrument off if I mounted it on the inside of the boat. I'm in a quandary because I sure hate to drill any holes below the water line, even with the marine epoxy or silicone based products to keep water out. I just figure I could cut some 4 inch by 4 inch fiberglass tape and resin, and apply it over the "ears" of the transducer mount where the screws normally go.. If I ever got ready to change the mount I could easily take an end grinder and remove the mount without compromising the integrity of the boat. Thanks for the replies thus far. I anxiously await others.
    BB in SC

7. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    the screws are the best way to go.... also the fist place you put it will most likely not be the best so with the screw you can adjust it..

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    There is an aluminium mount you can purchase, think bass pro has them, which fastens to the top of the transom with a screw clamp and mounts the transducer below the water line. Perhaps this would fit your needs.

9. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
  10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    There are millions of glass boats that have more then a transducer screwed into the transom.
    Try engine mounting bolts.

Never understood the logic of owning something and being afraid to use it.
    You can mount that transducer with an 8 pound sledge and it can be fixed.
    People freak at holes in boats. I dont

You know where I would mount a transducer?
    Bronze Thru hull. Drill a hole right smack dab through the bottom of the boat.
    The best readings you can get.

Of course there is a proper way and a screwed up way.

11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    We drilled it and screwed it. Worked splendidly!! Thanx!
    Bill in SC

12. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...I'm in a quandary because I sure hate to drill any holes below the water line..."

It's really fun on a new boat!!! :smile2:

I have done it to three of mine now. Like others have said, drill some pilot holes, cake it full of marine grade sealant, mount it and apply some more sealant.

That is basically the way everyone does it.

13. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I used the small fiberglass mounting boards that you can buy from Cabela's and then mount your transducer directly to it. They have a small board (aprox 4" tall and 10" long and then also they have a LARGE board for mounting multiple items). I used silicone around the board and then sealed it to the transom.

14. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I bought a 12"x27"x1/2" piece of Marine StarBoard from West Marine.

I cut it in half, pre-drilled and countersunk the holes with a forstner bit. Used a hole saw to make the cut-out over the livewell pump inlet on the starboard side and the livewell drain on the port side.

Installed on the transom and noticed a slight down-turn at the bottom from the angle of the transom that I thought might create a bit of turbulence. Took the boards back off and beveled the bottom-edge to match the line of the hull.

Taped off the area with Blue painters tape for a clean sealing job. Used 3m 5200, "below-the-waterline" sealant.

I now have some major real-estate on the transom to mount whatever I want on both sides of the boat and it looks great!:big_smile: