Mounting rod holders

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Ruger 454, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    Ihave a 16 ft. polarkraft duck boat that has two tubes on top that look like this oO but stuck together.I was wanting to put 4-5 rod holders down each side and be able to remove them when I want,if you can give me some mounting suggestions and type's of holders I would be gratful.
    Thanks in advance-Mike

2. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Just about any rod holder is removable....The bases arent , but the actuall holders are..You can go with plastic holders, like cabelas, berkely, scotty,attwoods or you can go with steel ones, like santee specials, drift masters...Just mount the bases of the rod holders on the boat, and you can remove the holders from the bases when you arent usiing them..The bases shouldnt get in your way..The drift master bases are pretty small...Its just a 2 inch piece of steel with a threaded hole in the middle, and the holder screws into the hole. I have a permanent aluminum rod rack across the back of my boat...I use berkely quick set holders and the bases are mounted across the rack..When Im trailering the boat i remove the actuall rod holders, but the bases are screwed on. And the thing I like about the berkely quick sets is you can romove the pole from the holder and set the hook in one motion, it is never hard to get the rod out of the holder like it is with the drift master holders.

3. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    I found some clamp-on type at basspro the other day. Like you, I wanted holders that I could remove easily. I bought 12 of them. I thought I was doing good till I started attaching them to the rail of my 'toon out on the lake. They are worthless! They fit really loose and will fall off if you dont babysit them. I will be going back to basspro this weekend to return them, and to buy a new rod and reel to replace the one on the bottom of the lake:angry:.

4. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    Hate to hear about the rig that went for a dip,I think I'm leaning towards the driftmasters

5. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ruger 454

you need to check out one of the BOC sponsors for your rod holders, Take a look at Tite-Lok rod holder company I think you would be happy if you called them up and talked to them about your fishing rod holders.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60049

6. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

BUMMER! Sorry about the lost rod! Maybe you could noodle for it. LMAO!:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

Just kidding. I am sending you reps, couldn't resist the remark.