Mounting rod holders with top only access

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by kitsinni, Mar 10, 2009.

1. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am looking for advice on mounting some rod holders. I am going to mount these to a wood deck on a boat that I don't have access to the bottom of. What is the preferred way of doing this? The best idea I have figured out so far is using stainless steel toggle bolts, but that would get really expensive fast.

2. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Good Morning, check out the Scotty, which I have or the Driftmasters, they both have "surface" mount holders. Besure use use some marine "5200" under them. I don't care if the screws fall out the holder WILL be there.

I purchased mine thru Cabelas.

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Why are you mounting them on the floor? How about the gunnels, are the gunnels Aluminum? Then I can help.

I suggest 1/2" Driftmaster Duos.

4. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The gunnel is aluminum, it is about 4 inches wide and flat. Right below it is a wood area with handles to get in the boat just about 1" lower than the gunnel that runs along it and it is about 4" wide. I figured if I mount them to the gunnel that is a permanent modification and I can replace the wood if I want to change.

5. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Ok then, just get the Driftmaster Flat bases and screw them to the wood with the biggest stainless steel screws that will fit in the mounting hole. You'll have to drill another hole in-between the mounting holes for the stem of the rod holder to pass through.

If it isn't this easy for some reason, post up a pic.

Holes in aluminum can be tig welded shut and ground smooth so mounting to the gunnels wouldn't exactly be permanent but a bigger pain to 'fix'. Sounds like the wood area will work fine for you.

6. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You don't think I will have problems with them pulling out the screws? That is why I was thinking toggle bolts. My main concern was it stripping out.

7. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I'd think a 5/16 stainless lag screw would work fine if the wood is sound and at least 3/4" inch thick.

But wood isn't my area of expertise, try it on a practice piece of scrap and see if you can pull it out. Remember your pole has some give also to absorb any shock.

My best guess is it will be solid. I put 5/16 bolts in my driftmaster bases and if I remember correctly iI had to ream the hole out a bit to go with 5/16 but that isn't a big deal.

No guarantees. Judge for yourself.:wink: