Mounting rod holders to a New SeaArk

Discussion in 'Boating' started by bigfishcatcher, Jun 12, 2008.

1. bigfishcatcher

bigfishcatcher New Member

State:
    WV
    I have a new SeaArk jet tunnel and want to mount some rod holders
    not sure how to attach them to the gunnel. I have noticed a lot of people
    use the drift master rod holds. Which mounting plate should I use???
    How to fasten them to the gunnel???

Thanks
    Gary Weaver

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

I used 5/16-18 nut inserts on mine and drilled the base to accept the larger bolts, they are rock solid. Another guy used the 1/4-20 nut inserts and he doesn't seem so sure about the security.

Mine are solid.

3. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Skipeye, Did you have some pics on here at one time of your mounting system? I would like to add a couple more to the front of my boat and sturdy up the ones I have.

4. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I'm probably the one skippy's talking about. I had a set of driftmaster mounted on the rail, fastened by 1/4-20 nut inserts, and they always worked themselves loose. Since then, I replaced the driftmasters on the rails with Scotty Powerlocks. I'm still using the drifmasters attached to the back deck though.

5. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Skips got you in the right direction with the nut-serts , or rivet nuts(riv-nuts). I mounted a lot of goodies on my boat using them. If they will work for me on seat bases they are going to hold any fish that will hit them. IMHO :eek:oooh::crazy::wink:

Thanks
    David

6. doodles_27302

doodles_27302 New Member

State:
    nc
    ok guys what are you talking about when you say nut inserts:eek:oooh:

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Somebody *coughdavecough* needs to write this up, and put it in the library.

8. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    I also just got a new sea ark home and need to mount more rod holders. I already have some scottys but Im not sure if a self tapping screw will be enough to hold them in 1/8 aluminum on the capriel? What are the thread insert thingys and where do I get ahold of some?

9. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
  10. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I bought my 2072 and have 12 driftmasters all around Look in my images for the pics. I bought the triangle bases and Cooks in Troy MO installed them with regular screws I believe. I have had no problems with them. Largest hog to date 72 lbs 8 oz.

11. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I also use rivet nuts. I got my gun at Fastenal a few years ago.

Attached Files:

12. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Guys
    Ny-lock nuts are good for those rod holders.

U know the nut with nylon inserts in the threads they will not vibrate loose with them.

13. seaark ryan

seaark ryan New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I put 17 Drift Master rod holder mounts on my SeaArk and at first I just screw them down with self tapers. Seamed to work good. After a few trips on some rough roads and water they were starting to come loose. I them tried to make a 1/16" thick rubber gasket and installed under them, it helped but still would work loose over time. So I talked to a fab shop about having them welded on and to see how much. Only $65.00 labor so I had it done! I used the Flat bases that you can get at Walmart. $4.95 each. They are so strong that if you snag a rod holer on the dock railing it will snap the stem of the holer off above the nut. I go get some pics and post

14. seaark ryan

seaark ryan New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Here are a few pics

Attached Files:

15. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats on the new boat and welcome to the BOC, this site is full of good info and great people

16. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Ken, there is no access to the threaded stem of the driftmaster when installed on a gunnel so you can't put a nylock on it.