Mounting quesion

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by smhmc6, Oct 12, 2008.

1. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've been toying with the idea of getting a shoulder mount for my next buck. I don't really have a clue what they cost though... I'm sure they are somewhat expensive. Generally what do shoulder mounts cost? I bought a house last spring and I've got a few places that a deer head would look real great on the wall:smile2:, but just not sure I could even afford one. If anything I'll do one of those antler mounts you can do yourself. Thanks in advance for your replys.

2. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    In my area mounts run from 250 to 450. It might be different in other
    areas. Don't go with the cheapest right away you are going to have to
    look at that mount for years. Check some of the mans work before you
    decide.

3. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks Poppa. As far as I know, there is only one place around here to get taxidermy work done without driving almost 60 miles. I'm in a pretty decent size city too, so its surprising to me. Anyway, they have a website that I was checking out, but their price list page was down so I couldn't see it. I figured I could at least get a ballpark figure by asking around on here. Thanks again.

4. CopeMan

CopeMan New Member

State:
    MO
    poppas about right here in cent. mo they run about 250 425. Too much for me:wink: unless its a record book buck.. then hopefully basspro or someone will pay for it. :smile2:

5. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Correction, The site is working now and their price is $650:crazy:. Also found a handful of others on yellow pages online. Only one other had a website, their price was $450. I'll maybe call around a few more to get prices, but I think I'll be doing my own skull mount.

6. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    $650 is alot of money for a shoulder mount.:eek:oooh: I am sure that you can get a better deal.

7. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yeah it is! I think I'd maybe spend $250 on one if all the bills were payed and such, but any more and I'd rather just save more for a new bow. I will get pictures though, thats for sure.

8. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    you can always look in other states as well. you can overnight a frozen deer anywhere. last year it was 300 to 400 around the louisville KY area. next best is ebay and buy a mout ffrom some one for 100 bucks or so, if you look you can probable find one that matches pretty close to one you were looking to mount. just a though.

9. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    My thoughts exactly. I thought $400.00 was pricey. But, that's rape...

10. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    I have 2 of them mounted by the same guy here and he has done a great job for me. He is $300. But since he is so cheap, he only does 20 mounts unless you are a repeat customer. Here is a pic of the mounts. So I guess I am saying, look for someone that is new, not brand new though. And they will be looking for mounts to do and they wont charge you an arm and leg for them. $650 is extremely expensive and his ego about his workmanship is probably larger than that! JMO

Attached Files:

11. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Those are some nice bucks! What did the one on the left score ya know?

12. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Thank You!! I am not sure what either one of them scored honestly. I am one of those weird ones that just consider it a trophy and that is good for me. I didn't and don't want to get into the inches thing. They are really nice and I couldn't be happier with leaving the actual size as just that. People that have seen them are always guessing and its usually around 160-170 for the one on the left and 140's for the one on the right. I have been extremely blessed the last 2 hunting seasons. I hope this year is just half of the past 2. Sorry I can't give ya an actual score.

13. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Oh no need to apologize for not knowing the score. They are some bruisers! I am a little chapped at you though, I have never seen anything even close to that big and you have TWO:smile2::wink:

14. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    I am not giving you the "been hunting for years speech"LOL, but I have no clue what has happened the last 2 years. I have never even seen that kinda quality either before 06 bow season. And I haven't hunted any different. Strange!

15. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I think that sometimes that it is just your time. You have probably passed a lot of bucks before you took those two.