Mounting New Trolling Motor

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by catfishcentral, Apr 3, 2008.

1. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I bought a new trolling motor for my boat last weekend. The old motor used those rubber inserts where the screw went into and tighten the motor to the bow of the boat from the top. The new trolling motor uses regular screws, nuts and washers. The only problem is you cant reach far enough under the deck to put these bolts and washers on. Anybody have a suggestion or have this similar problem they fixed.

Thanks

2. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I have mounted my last several trolling motors with this type of rubber insert and had good luck with them. Attached is a picture of the ones I used.
    I hope this helps.:big_smile:

Thanks
    David

Attached Files:

3. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    That's what I have on my old trolling motor but those don't work on this application. There's a mounting plate and the rubber won't work.

4. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    What brand/type of trolling motor are you installing?
    My only other suggestion would be threadserts/revnuts/rivetnuts. I am curious to see what type of motor that you have that the rubber inserts will not work.:confused2:

You can't put the rubber insert in place and place the mounting pate on top of them and then the bolts through the plate?

Thanks
    David

5. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I mounted mine by just drilling and taping some threads.
    If that don't work, like big dave said "rivnuts".

6. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    How much does a pack of those rev nuts and the tool to install them cost? I want to purchase one of them sometime in the near future for some other projects I have for my boat.

7. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Seth,
    The tools can get pricey, fast. Around $100 for a decent one and the inserts are int he ball park of $1 each. You can install them without the tool. Check Ebay for a deal on the tool and save yourself some $$.
    Do a google search for installing revnuts with home tool. I had to do one last night that i could not get my tool to crimp. I was afraid it would break my tool.:crazy: It was a little bigger than my tool is rated to compress.:big_smile: Those 1/2" steel revnuts are tough.:wink:
    If you don't have any luck finding info on the homemade way of doing it send me a PM and I will see what i can find for you.

8. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Thanks a lot David. I'll check up on that.