Mounting fish finders

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by smhmc6, Jun 24, 2007.

1. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Alright guys, have another few questions. I'm considering having a fish finder on my jon boat. To be honest I really don't know anything about them... so these questions may sound stupid. For it to work you need the fish finder/depth finder whatever you call them and it has to be connected to a transducer and thats it right? Doing a little shopping around, it seems like if you buy a fish finder unit you have to buy the transducer sperately right? Now, how and where would you guys suggest mounting the transducer to a jon boat? I'd like to be able to remove it so that I can transport the boat in the back of my truck (wont have a trailer for a while). Also, I will have a transom mounted trolling motor... so how far away from that does it have to be to avoid interference? If I'd have to permanently mount it... what do you use to keep water from leaking through where it fastens on? If you have answers for any of these questions or just general suggestions please send them my way. Thanks

2. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    oh yeah, can you actually mount the transducer to the trolling motor? If so how? Sorry, but I just keep coming up with questions :smile2:.

3. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Steve. Most all fish finders come with a transducer. There are many ways to mount on a jon boat temporarily. They sell brackets that clamp on to the transom of your boat that adjust to get the transducer in the water. Also you say you have a trolling motor. I mounted mine on the trolling motor. They also sell a bracket to mount to it the trolling motor. It works great. I highly recomend Lowrance or eagle brand. But get what you like. Hope this helps.

4. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks Tim. Mounting it to the trolling motor sounds like a great idea. And you say you can use your depth finder even while running your trolling motor without getting interference? It sounds like it would do exactly what I want, being removable. I assume that they make mounts for the depth finder that are detatchable and you just unplug it from the transducer. Then I can just leave the transducer and trolling motor attached to each other but take them off the boat and store in the garage. I will be storing my boat on the side of the house and transporting it in the back of my truck. The more I can detatch the less I have to worry about theft and rain damage.

5. bpalmer1951

bpalmer1951 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Steve, I ran a trolling motor for years with a Transducer strapped on the motor and the hummingbird fish finder had no noise or anything when I used used the motor. Also several of the new Minnkotas have tranducers now built right into the head of the motor and the cable already there and all that is needed is the proper minnkota adapter to your depth finder. Hope this helps.