Mounting a turtle

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by Shenandoah, May 22, 2008.

1. Shenandoah

Shenandoah New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Aight I found on the web somewhere the instructions for preserving a turtle's head I've seen alligators head's done like this that are sold down in florida. I think it would be cool to have a turtle done the same way. Anybody know how to do it? Or do you know a link to instructions on how to do it? And I've tried searching to find where I found the instructions but I'm having no luck at all.

2. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mounting turtles, sexing flatheads..... GHEEZH, What's this website turning into? Am i gonna need a credit card to use it soon?? LOL

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    LOL!

I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Oh, and you left out the mating rituals of ducks.:smile2:

4. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    LOL...... I'll never look at a duck the same way again. I'm happy to say I never attempted to mount a turtle. On a serious note, I'll try to track down some info, if no one has any for you.

Richard

5. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    By the way you forgot about the "What do your jugs look like" thread.:eek:oooh:

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    You guys are funny!!!:tounge_out::smile2:

I used to help a guy 'preserve' Turtle heads and shells. They looked awesome when done.
    Best I can remember, its been 20+ years ago but first he would clean the turtles and get all useable meat off of them.
    Then he would cut everything off the shell and cut the head off.
    Then he would boil the shell and head for several hours until all meat, tendons and ligaments would come right off. If I'm not mistaken he used water and some type of strong Hydrogen Peroxide to boil them in. When they were done, usually several hours he would take them out, let them cool and then clean all leftover stuff off with a brush.
    By this time you just had a clean shell and a skeleton head. He'd let them dry very thoroughly, usually several days. Then he'd use some kind of Shellac or Varnish(or something similar to preserve them and make them shiny). After that all dried he had a really shiny pretty looking shell and skeletal head. Usually during the boiling process the bottom jaw would separate also. He would lay the shell down and use some kind of clear glue/cement and glue the bottom jaw usually right in the center of the shell or towards the front. Then he would glue the head onto the jaw and when they were done it would be a perfect shiny shell with its skeletal head mounted on it. I helped him do this on several turtles over 20-25 pounds.
    If I can get a hold of him I'll ask him the rest and how off base I am but they looked great!!!:wink::big_smile:
    Hope this helps you out and Welcome to the BOC!!!:big_smile:

7. ho_shi

ho_shi New Member

State:
    Texas
    haha i got a picture on how to do the turtle mountin but is not suitable for postin on here BUT well lol it is pretty funny!!!

interestin y would you want to mount a turtle??

i have rode a giant tortious when i was a wee thing many years ago does this count??

8. Shenandoah

Shenandoah New Member

State:
    Virginia
    yeah I should have expected responses like that when I gave my question that title. What I was looking for is how to preserve the head with the skin on the turtle and with marbles in the eyes?

9. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY

Still llooking, I haven't found anything that appears to be useful yet.

Richard

10. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    OK, there is a magazine for taxidermy. I personally haven't see it but it is refferenced on this link. Evidentally they have a volume speciffically for reptiles and amphians. One guy says the low end price for a full turtle mount is $500 (a 20-30 lber) If you learn how can you give me a discou..LOL
    http://www.taxidermy.net/forums/ReptileArticles/02/02787E31F5.html

Richard

11. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    http://www.taxidermy.net/forums/ReptileMenu.html

No current archives on turtles. There is a gent who has dvd's and vhs on it & lists an email address for details. If you up on the forum, and post in the appropriate area this is probably a really good place to start picking brains for info. Apparenttly it is quite a process.

Richard

12. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    You need to find a book on reptile taxidermy .... I used to do taxidermy and mounting a turtle isn't difficult compared to some other animals and birds ... but it is very difficult to explain to someone that hasn't had taxidermy experience ... I don't have any of my old books anymore so can't scan and send you anything .... look on line for a book on Reptile Taxidermy .... I am sure you can find one .... it will also tell you how to mount snakes and alligators if you come across on of them ........ :wink: .... Garry-

13. wishbone1

wishbone1 New Member

State:
    michigan
  14. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
  15. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    thanks for the freezing link thats interesting.