Mounting a Transducer

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Fishgeek, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I need to mount my transducer on my new boat & was looking for some advice. On my transom, the wood doesn't go all the way to the floor of the boat. So, when I attached the transducer mount to the transom, do I just bolt it through the aluminum or do I need to reinforce the aluminum with a small block of wood? Then bolt the mount through the aluminum transom and the block of wood? Does that make sense?

2. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My Lowe is built the same way. I got a plastic transducer mounting plate (approximately 4" x 10" x 3/4") from Gander Mountain for about $10.00. Mounted it to the transom with 1/4" SS bolts and backed them up with SS fender washers and nyloc nuts. 3M 5200 between the plate and hull, and around the bolts. The plastic plate will allow you to mount multiple options (transducer, speed & temp sensor, ect) without putting more than the 2 plate mounting screw holes through your hull.

3. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks Bear! That's what I needed to know!

4. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    I would put some kind of silicone around the bolt holes to help prevent leaks.

5. Mountainman

Mountainman New Member

State:
    illinois
    I took a 2" x 1/4" x 10" flat stock. I bent each end at a 90 leaving just enough room to get a nut and lock washer behind it about a inch. I then welded it to the back of the boat. That way i can change things out and add stuff. And theirs no holes in the back of the boat. I have not had any problem with hitting it or tearing my transducer off .

6. gtva

gtva Member

State:
    Bassett, VA
    Cabela's has a clamp on transducer mount that needs no drilling. I used it on my Carolina Skiff and have been pleased with it. You can move the transducer up/down right/left to find the best location without drilling.
    Greg