Mounting a transducer on Alum.?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by iowacatter, Jul 16, 2006.

1. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I am putting a new Depth finder in my Alum. boat and the directions say to drill a couple holes on the bottom of the transom, but I am not too fond of the idea of drilling holes in the bottom of my boat.

The old one is mounted at a 90 degree angle on the back of the transom.
    The new one is flat and needs to be mounted horizontally, Does anyone have any good ideas on how this could be done, without drilling more holes?

My thought is to go to the welding shop and get a small piece of Alum. angle iron and use the same two holes the old transducer is mounted too. This seems like the best way to do it, but if anyone has a better idea, I am all ears!! Thanks
    Stan

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That sounds like a good plan Stan. I would also get some 3m 5200 and put some on the screw threads and seal it up good.

3. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks, Willard for the tip on the 3M 5200. I will defintely have to do that!

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
  5. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Pete, Thanks for the idea. I have to get it done before Sat. for the Central Iowa Gathering. So I need to get busy:lol: .

Thanks Again!

6. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Stan if the reason you don't want to drill a hole is because of leaks then the following may be of help to you, but if it's just the idea of drilling another hole leaves an uneasy filling then use a piece of pre-drilled aluminum (so it doesn't rust) angle sold at Lowes or home depot..(like your thinking)

install a bond seal washer on the head before setting the screw, I'm a roofer and those bond seal washers are made of neoprene the same material divers wet suits are made of...

Those bond seal washers and a small layer of butyl tape mastic are the only thing that prevent leaks and rust on metal roofs..

You can find bond seal washers in any hardware store...Lowe's Home Depot or fastenal..

They worked for me when I installed my transducer on my aluminum boat transom...

7. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    John, the reason I hesitate to drill the holes in the bottom is because, where the transom is thick enough, it has a whole row of rivets around the transom, and I want it to be as flat as I can get it. I hope that makes sense to ya. But thanks for the tip on getting it sealed tight, I appreciate it!:smile2:

8. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Stan Cabelas sell a 3/4" thick Nylon transducer mounting board under $20 If I remember correctly. I put one on My boat, You'll never drill another hole in the Transome again.

9. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Brad, I'll have to check that out,Thanks.

Again I want to Thank you all for the help!:cool2: You guys are the reason this is such a great site. Thank You!

10. DuckNurse

DuckNurse New Member

State:
    Cape Girardeau, Missouri
    Great ideas guys!!

11. Blue Kayak

Blue Kayak New Member

State:
    MN
    I have a Marcum flasher set up for ice fishing. I found the flasher works great on my sit-on-top kayak; I just have to place the transducer in one of the kayak's drain holes.

I also wanted to use the flasher on my aluminum boat, and to be able to easily move the flasher between the kayak and the boat. I ended up building a "well" for the transducer in the bottom of my aluminum boat. The well was made from a 12 ounce plastic pop bottle, but PVC pipe might be even better. I just cut a 2 inch cylinder from the pop bottle and used silicone caulk to fasten it to a flat part of the boat's hull. Then fill the well with water before placing the transducer inside. The Marcum has enough power to shoot through the aluminum if the well has water in it.

Jerry

12. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I drilled already. Never had a fish finder before and wife bought me one for birthday.

Guess I will wait and see if it leaks.

Robert