Mounting a depth finder in my boat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Bigones, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a couple questions for yall. I took a lowrance 150a off my old boat and want to put it on my new boat. They had the optional speed / temp sensor epoxyed to the center of my old boat which was a chore to get off. I finally did but still has epoxy all over it. What is the purpose of this? Doesn't the tranducer do the same thing? How can it tell anything if its in the middle of your boat and not in the water? Is there something else I can use to mount it besides epoxy? I may want to take it off or move it sometime and epoxy is like a perment fixture. I was also wondering about mounting the tranducer. I have a aluminum boat and the tranducer looks copper wont that eat a hole in the boat over time? It had screws mounting it to my old boat but I don't want to put holes in this boat is there something else I can use to connect it without interfering with the signal? Will mounting it near my motor on the back of the boat cause interferance from the motor? Thanks for the help

2. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Bigones, Try going to the manufactors website. They will probably have an online owners manual and maybe a faq section.

ST

3. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey greg I did that and it said see the instruction guide that came with the transducer and speed temp sensor. I downloaded the manual and it says same thing see instructions that came with the sensors. I can't find anywhere to get the instructions for them only the unit itself.

4. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Tell us what you got. Somebody may know what you need or be able to help you find it.

ST

5. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You might not want to do it on your boat,but here's what I did.Cut a 6"x8" or whatever needed piece of plywood to epoxy on your transom (wherever you want it) then you can just screw them down to the plywood and remove them when you like.I used a strip of treated plywood and it is still good after several years and it even sits below the waterlevel.I have some small bolts holding the plywood strip on mine plus epoxy but the bolts might not be needed it is stuck pretty good.
    Of course if your putting your transducer inside for thru-hull that won't help you.

6. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    I think thru hull transducers need to be mounted more towards the back of the boat, but don't take my word for it. As far as transom mount, I've seen setups with the cord running over the top of the transmon and the transducer attached to the transom by suction cups.

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Go back to the Lowrance website and click on Free Owners Manuals.Scroll down til you see analog temp sensor and also speed sensor.Those are the instruction sheets you need.I don't use the speed sensor and mount the temp sensor right to the Transducer bracket.I have a speedo on the boat and GPS.Remember measure many times;drill only once.:) ;) :cool:

8. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the replies. I like the suction cups that way I don't have to do any drilling I hat puting holes in my boat lol.