Mounted catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Catmaster, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I have never realy seen a professional catfish mount around here and I was wanting to have a bigger flathead mounted. Is it worth it? Has anyone had one done? and finaly Does it look any good to you(almost real)?

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I mounted a large Falthead once but I have to tell I wasn't on long!:lol: Slippery devils aren't they.Most folks will tell you that the catfish skin does not preserve well at all so most Taxidermist wont mess with them.Your best bet is to take several very good photos from all different angles along with accurate measurements.The they can do a beautiful fiberglass replica mount for you.Lots of folks are releasing their trophy fish of all types after doing the pictures and having replica mounts made.The painting is much more accurate and lifelike.:smile2:

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I've seen a number of replica mounts of blues and flatheads, all very well done.

There's no need to kill a fish just so you can hang it on your wall.

Measure it, photograph it and turn it loose. Then find a good quality taxidermist who can make a replica for you.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hvving had a few skin mounts of fish I would personally get a fiberglass replica because they last forever unlike a skin mount .Vandyks tax.supply sells an already painted replica line that cuts out the middleman I'm giong to replace some that were stolen with these .

5. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    yea I have seen one big blue mounted at gas station, but guy was scuba diving and spearfishing, caught this big blue like 80 between 100 pound... but I did not ask him how much weight.... and other I saw really nice size flatties mounted too...

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    The Bass Pro in Seiverville,Tn. has some really nice flathead replica mounts on their walls. I would agree with most, the replicas are the best way to go in my opinion.

7. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    i HAVE TO AGREE WITH EVERYONE ELSE REPLICAS ARE THE WAY TO Go:smile2:

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would rather release the fish than to kill it, just to mout it on my wall.

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Replicas as the way to go.

I have spoken with many taxidermists about this topic and they all say to get a replica done. There are some serious issues with the skin on a catfish when it comes to looking good several years down the road.

Get a length and girth measurement and take some pictures. A reputable taxidermist will be able to create a better replica than you will ever get from a mounted skin.

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    bass pro in olathe has a big cat mounted above the elavator and it looks bad replicas look better plus that big girl will make thousands more flatties for us and our kids to catch.:big_smile: plus you or someone else might catch her again when shes bigger:big_smile: :big_smile:

11. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    hopefully by the end of this year i will have my first 20pound+ flathead replica. ive got 2 major goals this year, first buck mount that is at least a very large 8 or has something unique about the rack, and my first flathead 20pounds or larger. in the computer room/"den" im going to hang them on oppisite walls about 10 feet from each other with my dads old muzzleloader on the back wall. by next december ill post a picture of our hunting den with the stuff. its going to look pretty neat when its done. but back to the point, replicas are much better, our gander mountain has a few bass and muskie skin mounts hanging up and they look pretty bad, and ive only heard that catfish skin does worse than other fish. so get a replica.

12. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Iseen one at lake shelbyville in a bait shop below the spillway ....It looked terrible and was in a glass case .

13. csellelrs

csellelrs New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    A replica would probably be better looking

14. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    A replica looks a lot better than a skin mount and gives the fish a chance to be someone else's record also.

15. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    A bunch of years ago me and a buddy were fishen and he caught a monster cat .All he could talk about was stuffing that dam fish .
    I had mounted a bass and a snook ,using a kit from tandy leather or some place like that and told him I would stuff his fish if he would just shut up and fish!
    He kept the fish iced and droped it off at my house after showing it off .
    After he left I felayed that big guy and put him in the frezzer the next week we [me and my family and him and his family had a fish fry.] You guess it .
    After we ate I fessed up and he blew up haha it was great fun
    I did a real nice mount of the head for him later ,we still fish to gether .
    ps . some time later he got me back when I forgot my glasses he tied on a hook for me ,you guessed it agin
    bewell crmule

16. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The Bass Pro Shop in Myrtle Beach has two really nice replicas of big flatheads on the wall there. I agree with the other fishermen about measuring it, weighing, and getting a nice replica made of it. I have seen a mount of a 48 lb flathead caught from Fishtrap Lake and it look alright.

17. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have a "replica" of the 40lber I caught (blue) and it looks very good! It took about 2 months for the taxidermist to sand on the fins and prepare and paint the form, but it was worth the wait!:big_smile:I have a bunch of nice deer mounted, and the big cat, still gets the attention, because you just dont see that everyday!

18. Fishin Freak

Fishin Freak New Member

State:
    Kansas
    There was a great tax shop here in ks, the guy would only do replicas due to he was a big cat hunter himself and said bring pics and measurements and he would do the rest. The ones that he had mounted in his shop were better looking then if you just caught the fish. One of them he had mounted was of a 58 1/2lb going after a 8" perch. The guy closed the shop down, he was in late 60's and I think he didn't have much family to pass on the shop to. But anyway if you find a good tax they can work wonders on helping you keep that memory alive for years to come. In closing I think that if you do get that big cat snap a few photos and use the soft tape to take the measurements and get that big kitty mounted.

19. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Why stop with a measly 20 lb'er or so.

With a replica you could even stick it on a pole over your house. Size it as BIG as your pocketbook allows.:0a23:

Attached Files:

20. MaîtreDePoisson

MaîtreDePoisson New Member

State:
    Bells, Tennessee
    Are all fish bad for mounting or just catfish?