Mounted Catfish, who's does them best?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by JJHACK, Sep 9, 2005.

1. JJHACK

JJHACK New Member

State:
    Wa. State and Elisrass RSA
    Catfish are a tough trophy to mount. Replicas are the only way to go. I'm not sure many Taxidermists do enough Cats to become Catfish experts. Have you seen a mounted catfish that was a great job? who did it?

Please post photos of any mounted catfish you can find. I hate fish mounts that are bad, but I think really good fish mounts look awsome! I think a mounted catfish against a piece of driftwood is a great looking mount

2. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    The resident expert here(Nc) does great replicas of cats. he's the one who told me about catfish can't be mounted. because of their skin or something.

3. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    The taxidermist shop at the Bass Pro Shops in Springfield, Missouri does replica catfish mounts. I saw a blue cat and a flathead they did, and they looked great! The taxidermist shop is inside the outlet store there at BPS...which is located in a seperate building than the main showroom....in the same parking lot.

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    A really good taxidermist can do a replica mount just by looking at several different photos with different angles. Also give as much details as possible such as weight,length,girth diameter,etc.

5. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    my friend who does a little bit of amatuer taxidermy told me that its very hard to do that on a catfish. part of the reason being that the way they do it just skin doesn't work well. there is an artist called McKinty's marine art i believe... up in PA that does replica mounts. they are fiberglass molds painted to look like your fish... actually when i talked w/ them this past january they were saying that they'd like to get a larger catfish to make a mold of so if you want you can send it up there w/ any pictures you have of the fish... i'll look to see if i have their card and post the info later...