Mountaineers

Discussion in 'Ersel's Gridiron Talk' started by MattShannon, Aug 21, 2007.

1. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    Any other Mountaineer fans here? AP has us at #3. There's only 2 teams between us and the National Championship this year: Rutgers and Louisville.

2. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    And any other team that winds up with one loss. I see any old one loss team from a major conference playing ahead of you guys even with an undefeated season. As much trouble as yall had last year as shoo ins for a big east title I think its a long hard road for a national title this year. Although I cant wait to see what pat white and steve slaton have for us this year!

3. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    You could be right Craig. We've went undefeated before and didn't get a shot, but things are different now. The big east is better than ever. Like you said about White and Slaton, many feel the same way, because they're fun to watch. A lot more people know who we are now. Many forgot about us after our last NT visit w/Major Harris. I think when they decide who's gonna a play in the big game between 0 loss and 1 loss teams, money is a big factor along w/conference and schedule strength of course. They take in consideration of who most people want to watch and how many viewers will be tuning in. I think if we can go undefeated, we'll get our chance. We have to worry about getting past Louisville first. IMO Louisville is underated in their rankings at #10, they should be in the top 5 also. Their ranking will go up before it goes down.

4. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    "There's only 2 teams between us and the National Championship this year: Rutgers and Louisville."

Be careful, boilerman. That is the kind of thinking that cost WVU a loss against South Florida last year. They are playing in Tampa this year and I am going to drive down for the game. Try to see West Virginia play everytime they come to Florida. Can't wait to sometime go see a home game in Morgantown. Let's Go Mountaineers!!!!!!

5. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    You're right, but those are of course the 2 teams to be most worried of in our schedule. Rutgers are awsome and Loisville is way underated with the best QB in NCAA. Look at S. Fla now, they're proving that they're not just some chump. Look at Cinncy, E. Conn, and even Pitt. I've heard so many times by ESPN and many others that the Big East may be the best conference in the league now. If not the best, at least tied for it w/SEC. We were 5-0 in bowls last year, best of any conference.

Like me, I think many WVU fans are wondering what will be there after Slaton and White move on. Our backups have restored the confindence that WVU will be a threat for many years to come. Maybe it's DEVINE intervention. As in Noel Devine, man is he awsome or what? I just hope he remains healthy enough to fufill his need for the team.

6. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    Season Ticket holder for many years here. Our Mountaineers will play in the NC game if we go 12-0. The BE is now rated as 2-3 best conferance so far. With USF and Cincy stepping up to the plate, there is a real chance over 1/2 of the league will be in the Top 25. Have faith and with a few bounces our way we`ll get there. Let`s hope the D has awakened and that is the bfinal piece to the puzzle. If we win at SF we will be undefeated.

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It could play out that USC, LSU and Oklahoma also go undefeated. How would that scramble the egg?

8. CATFISH1998

CATFISH1998 New Member

State:
    Westerville,Ohio
    That would be great. I have a WVU flag that i put out before the games. The Ohio state fans take it down all the time. Well my buddies. GO WVU

9. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    Not likely, but anything's possible. That would stink if it did. (for WVU fans anyway) We have a long road yet. Louisville's loss doesn't help our schedule strength now. Our only chance is to go undefeated. They'll never give us a shot w/1 loss. Go Mountaineers.

By the way, my hat's off to your Sooners, they look real good so far.

10. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    Mountaineers looked real good yesterday. The defense was awsome. Although East Carolina is not too good, WV executed to perfection almost every play on both sides of the ball. First true test this Friday at S. FL.

11. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    I guess I ate my words on Louisville. They lost again. What happened to that team? I'll be suprised if they're even ranked this week. I expected them to be as good as WVU this year. That really puts a hurtin on our schedule strength.

12. suddawg

suddawg New Member

I still say the only way a Big East team plays in the BCS Championship is if they can play some sort of defense. That's what did Louisville in. Yes there offense is awesome but they're defense just is atrocious. South Florida will be a great test of the Mountaineers. That Defense is very stingy, and it's a home game for them.

SudDawg

13. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    Feeling much better about USF. After looking at match-up stats their D only gives up 35 less yards a game than we do. Whites completion rate is at 73% compared to Gothe 60.8%. I still feel a win on Fri. gets us to an undefeated season. USC will lose at least one along with LSU,FL. OK looks to be the only other team that may go w/0 loses. 12-0 gets us to the NC game oneloss and we`re out.:big_smile:

14. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Don't get me wrong, I love West Virginia. Pat White and Steve Slaton kicks butt.

But this is college football in 2007, a team that runs that kind of offense will usually not go undefeated. They will lose a game.

15. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    They beat themselves again like they did against Louisville last year. Their freshman O lineman couldn't handle the front 4 of SF. SF's pressure won that game for them. WV had do many missed oppurtunities. We couldn't buy a good block not to mention SF is a good FB team. That was their first true test and they failed. Whoever said Big East can't play defense is crazy. WV was ranked 15 in the nation on D before that game and even though they lost, that rating will probably go up, because that was the only thing they had going for them. Both teams played awsome on D.

16. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I am a die hard OU fan, but I have learned to never, never open my mouth about their greatness as I will invariably have to eat my words. I have learned over the years to wait until late January to start bragging - if there is a need. Great shades of Boise State. LOL

17. dahoss2002

dahoss2002 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    The scary thing about South Florida is they keep winning with Grothe. I wonder how good they might be with a better quarterback.

18. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    I don't feel so bad after seeing some of the other games on Saturday. At least we got beat by a team that was in the top 20 and may even slide into the top 10 now. SF is no joke. They did beat Auburn who upset FL yesterday. So I guess anything can happen. It's no fun if I can't brag about my team all season, but your right Mr. Wise I usually end up eating about half of it. All I can say is, "What a weekend for college fb."