mountain lions

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by catfishscotty, Jan 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    well a friend of mine called me today to shoot the breeze hes 59 and bird hunts pheasents and quail in northern missouri. well a farmer he hunts on daughter hit a mountain lion with her car smashed her front end and killed the cat they weighed it 112 lbs i think he told me it was carraloten area anyway the farmers where all looking at the cat called conservation dept when he showed up the farmer asked if they where gonna pay for his daughters car conservation guy said no that it must of been a pet that got lose:angry: ya RIGHT . thats 3 moutian lions i know of now in northern missouri 2 hit by car and 1 shot. all i can say is when is the dept of conservation gonna tell the truth they turned them lose ??????? o wait ya they just pets got turned lose:eek:oooh:. ask the owners of hiawatha resort on lake of the ozarks about the otters tearing up the docks and destroyed fishing in the heated dock in the winter for crappie. also conservation dept started. the owner 3 years ago killed 17 out of his docks. thats just 1 cove grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr like we needed more dam otters killing fish !!!!!!!

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Were the otters here first, then hunted/trapped to near extinction? If so, I guess they got as much right to be reintroduced as the crappie do to be there...:smile2:

3. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well, I had the opportunity to shoot a mt. lion last year and didn't. Now he is killing a farmers cattle. The guy lost I think 10 calves last year and he just lost his first one about 2 weeks ago. If that cat ever steps back out during daylight hours in front of that farmer I don't think he'll be around much longer. The conservation people can deny it all they want but the fact is, MO does have a population of them. Look at bobcats, growing up as a kid they denied that one too and now we have a huntable population. Mt. Lions are one way of reducing MO's deer herd.

4. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I have to agree with Branden, those critters have been here long before we ever were and we invaded their homes. Why would the consevation department be responsible for the damages to the car? If you hit a deer, it's nobody's fault, that's why you have comp insurance.

The Mt Lions deserve to eek out an existance just like anybody else. When people invade their territory there is going to be conflict, but it is something that has to be tolerated for moving into their backyard.

I grew up in Montana and would stories about bears and Mt Lions attacking small pets of people that built their big fancy homes in the back woods. What do you expect?

5. catfishchris

catfishchris Active Member

State:
    missouri
    There is no way the conservation department would release mountain lions into the wild, native or not. Farmers, ranchers, and most of the general public, would have a fit! I believe the cats are coming in from neighboring states. Probably following the deer.

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    They have been spotted for years in the LAND BETWEEN THE LAKES AREA and still they deny that they are here. There have even been black ones spotted too and yet they deny their very exsistance. I talk too people who see them quite often but nobody pays no mind to them. :crazy:

7. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    We have a season on otters here now. Theres more than one way to skin an otter...LOL
    :angry:

8. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    i just dont agree with turning crap lose we dont need i grew up on a farm dad raised cattle and hogs like all the other neighbors back in the 70s they turned lose 7 black honey bears this is not wide open range 20 acre to 200 -500 acre farms all fenced its a major pain in the ass to fix fence and chase down cattle after they tear up the fences or scare the cattle threw them anyway the bears all got killed within the first year we dont need them, or the big cats, or otters that cleaned out my dads pond along with 2 others neighbors ponds and tearing up the docks sence they turned them lose . how would you feel to have a nice pond with 6 lb bass 14 inch crappie, cats,and perch you caught for years out of it then 1 day because they turned them lose your pond has hardly anything in it now????? or have your livestock killed and fences tore up with cattle lose??? this state is to populated in many places for this kind of critters !!!! as far as controlling the deer herd well make the season longer dont charge as much for the tags let land owners kill what they want. ( most do anyway ) more deer and turkeys then ever this is not the 30s anymore . we could feed alot of needy children and families with them. my 2 cents worth :cool2:

9. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mt. Lion are sighted here in Southern Illinois regularly, yet their existence is denied. Have a farmer friend who saw kittens a couple years ago. Considered catching one.....then decided mama might object even tho he didn't see her around.

During deer season I saw a pile of guts from field dressing a deer that were covered with leaves, twigs etc. Does a bobcat cover their find or kill....or is it just the big cats.....anyone know?

10. catfishchris

State:
    missouri
    I still don't think mountain lions have been released in Missouri. I'm sure they are here, but they wandered in. Just like the occasional elk.

11. catfishchris

State:
    missouri
    Any cat, including a house cat, will cover it's meal for later. Bobcats are too small to kill an adult deer. They will feed on deer that have been freshly killed.

12. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I know a farmer up north thats says he's seen 1 on his place and there tracks and deer kills. Lived there all his life so I have no doubt he knows what he's talking about. He's raised cattle all his life and all his neoghbors do as well, but he has never mentioned loosing them to the cats so who knows. Lots of deer in those hills and bottoms for them though. Been too many hit by vechiles, so you know we have some.
    I'd say there probably wonderers also. Wonder what the fur buyer will say...:smile2:

Attached Files:

13. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    big kitty 112# like to catch a blue cat that size !!!:smile2:

14. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    I've seen a mountain lion in the wild, as well as one that a relative used to keep as a "pet". Both were in the Ozarks region of Missouri.

I've also seen something that field agents swear does not exist. Maybe I was wrong: I've seen the hind quarters of a dark long-tailed BIG cat of roughly the same size as the mountain lions I've seen. I can't say it was black, because it's wasn't exactly black. It was summertime and I had been mowing the yard of a relative when I heard something over the drone of the push mower. The only way I can describe the sound was it was like the scream you'd expect to hear someone make if they were falling off a cliff. I let go of the mower's kill switch, and looked behind me to the edge of the clearing about 20m to the west. What I saw were the hind legs and tail of a big cat disappear into the undergrowth. I did not pursue.

Maybe my eyes played a trick on me, but that image is forever imprinted in my mind.

15. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I'd be upset about my pond as well, but the fundamental problem (IMHO) was the eradication/decimation of a species in the past to save a few head of livestock. Take it the other way, if the crappie fishermen (or bullhead fishermen, since that topic came up in another thread:wink:) got the MDC to kill off all the flatheads and blues to improve their fisheries, we'd be right there lobbying to have them reintroduced.

I realize the state is more populated, but I really hate to see species eradicated so we can build more lovely, look alike tract homes:smile2: If you're going to live in the country, change your ways to suit your environment. Don't kill off every living thing that you don't quite like because they're not smart enough to move away from your new dream home outside the city limits. I realize there are ramifications to peoples incomes (livestock losses, etc), but we wouldn't shed a tear if the commercial fishing industry shut down and affected those guys' way of making a living.

Not trying to be a pain in the a$%, just introducing a different point of view......... And being a pain in the a#$:smile2:

16. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    your a good old boy braden i would never call you a pain in the a$$ :wink: and i like what you did to the boat looks cool !!!!!

17. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    The problem with introducing nearly extinct species (Like the River Otters) is they have no natural predators anymore. They released the Otters in hope that they would be doing the right thing by bringing back a natural species to this area, but forgot to think that the things that kept them in check are no longer there. Animals like Mountain Lions for instance would be able to control the population of the Otters. I know they try to do what they think is right by reintroducing species that were here at one time (like the Black bears, River Otters, and Mountain Lions), but the reality is they are trying to play god and they aren't very good at it. If these species were meant to still be here then they would still be here.

18. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    The reason alot of species are not in certain areas is because of man not because they died out on there own, lets remeber now that the most dangerous thing to any animals existance is man.

19. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Back when I was in school for CM there was a big topic about this. The conservation department was claiming that these cats were escaping from pens and were not wild animals. I think it was back in 96 that they started the task force to track these animals. They were claiming that there was no proof of breeding animals or a breeding population on these cats in Missouri. I do know that the department has come out and said that they do not want to nor have they ever introduced mountain lions into Missouri. I do think that they have a right to be here and would love to see one, but it would make going into the turkey woods before light a bit more sporty if we had large populations.

20. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    there have been mountain lions in southern illinois for a long time. ive seen one, my mother has seen a couple. my uncle in waltonville has a video of one on his farm. idnr released like a thousand of them a couple years ago. i dont see why they wouldnt be in missouri.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.