Mountain lions ,cougars ,and panthers may be in your neighborhood soon

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by FS Driver, Jul 27, 2006.

1. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    heard on the radio today that more and more sightings of large
    cats of various types like cougars ,panthers , mountain lions ,
    are more common nowdays .
    some were speculateing that DNR was releaseing them to curb deer herds
    but this are not proven and dnr dismisses the allegations.
    i can remember livein in mnt.home ark. and hearing a family friend
    tell us he was at a girl friends house and his girlfriend got in from work and was pretty scared as she said she seen a huge black cat !
    she said it was almost as tall as the hood of her car.
    he dismissed it until a couple weeks later as he was working on something in her trailer he kept hearing a strange noise that after a bit of investigateing turned out to be a very loud purring noise that sounded like it was under the trailer near some duct work for the AC unit.
    he later seen huge cat paw prints around the perimeter of the trailer !

there is a resort there called panther bay and i would imagine that it was
    actually named for reasons other than cause it sounded good.
    my wife and i actually stayed there in a cabin for a week and the
    owners claim there are black panthers in the area.

cant recall where i read this but i heard of a turkey hunter had a large cougar or mountain lion come right at him after he made his call
    he was in full camo and the cat was chargeing his location.
    luckily he shot it before it was on him.

just a word of caution for hunters and for fishermen and any outdoor enthusiast the cats territories are shrinking with all the houseing and developing going on so encountering these cats will be more frequent.
    keep your eyes peeled .
    small kids and pets would be easy prey as they can chase down and eat deer easily.
    the more encounters with us seems like they would get less wary
    and more bold. some are over a couple hundred pounds.
    i wouldn't want to cross one without a gun !!!:eek:oooh:

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I hear more and more sightings around here. I've even heard of more exotic animals than that being sighted.

3. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    tyler funny you say that
    a few years ago wife and i were going home from relatives hose and we lived in the country near corn/soybean fields.
    we took the back roads every day morning and nite and this evening
    we seen a glimpse of??????????
    i swear i think it was either a small kangaroo or a mutant jackrabbit that was on steroids !!!

it freaked me out , i know i seen it but it was there and gone quick and never seen it or anything like it again.

there was supposed to be a guy that owned some exotic animals in the area but dont know what kind or if it was his or what.

this think hopped fast is all i know !!!

4. countrygirl0569

countrygirl0569 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Yeah, I know what you mean
    Where I live, there's a lot more cutting down of forests for businesses and houses for the growing community, so they're showing up more. Bears too, and we've NEVER had bears or cat problems around here

5. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Don't know about the cougars but I do know that we have bears starting to come back in our area. I know I've seen them (from a distance ) .Last year a black bear cub was hit out on the road . They say the driver went through he$$ over that.tried to arrest him for hit a distink animal. Never did hear how that turned out.

6. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I've heard about bear sightings too...from credible people...the state says its impossible.

7. countrygirl0569

countrygirl0569 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    We've had it on our local news that bears have been slowly showing up around here more and more
    Wonder why though

8. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    been a few cougars ,and panthers in my area. I didn't see it but a 70 lb Bobcat was taken from my fishing bank bout 5 or so years ago. I heard it was checked out, tagged and put back in my area. Have heard plenty of noise and seen a few things on my bank that i didnt know what it was, seen some strange scat on ground, even bigfoot has been around also.
    Me, I sit back and watch, keep a stick in the fire for critters, stay out of way, hope for the best, will shoot critters if need be. :tounge_out:

9. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    If I ever come across anyhting that "doesn't exist" I'm going to shoot it. No punishment for shooting a species that isnt protected.

10. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    a funny but true story in mnt home we lived on 40 acres
    no electricity or water for a year and a half until we saved up by cutting firewood to get power ran to to the place.
    our neighbors had electric but they still had outdoor plumbing:smile2:

and a young fella from town came to there house to visit one of the daughters went to school with him.

wll he had to make a trip out to the outhouse and was greeted by a
    cougar or mnt lion up in the rafters of there outhouse .:lol:
    they said he went home shortly afterwards guess he didnt need top use
    there facilitys after that HAHAHAHA

11. Slammer

Slammer New Member

State:
    Illinois
    There was a mountain lion found dead in the woods by a couple of my neighbors just last year about a mile from my small town in western Illinois. It was apparently shot by a bow hunter and it got away from him. Not sure if that was legal. There's been several sightings of others (probably the same one) in the area since then. We're pretty rural and have lots of woods and the Mississippi river. That's about all they need for cover and game.

12. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    We recently had sightings near where I live in New Jersey. There have been many sightings in North Jersey as well. I think they are making a comeback due to less and less hunters thinning the deer populations here. I also think the state is reluctant to aknowledge the presence of these cats due to liability. The state will ignore sightings until someone is attacked.

13. Slammer

Slammer New Member

State:
    Illinois
    We had a huge cougar or mountain lion caught laying in a lady's back yard in the middle of Rock Island, IL. It was laying behind the garbage bins in the shade. They even got video of it and showed it on the news. Don't know what would have happened if the kids were out to play???I don't remember what they did with it.

14. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    yeah we're gettin bears here in KY now.....i never knew they were here until i saw my cousin's deer statue get dragged into the woods. i say that we should do somethin about the bears....they dont help us at all really....and since KY is trying to re-introduce elk why would they want bears in here at the same time???.....seriously it makes no sense......but a few years down the road can you say "bear tag lottery"? lol i just put my name in for our elk lottery today

15. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

DRC,

I'm not trying to rip on you, but rather spread the wealth of knowledge (I happened to be studying this subject lately by chance).

Quote from the Missouri Dept. of Conservation:

"Though a popular myth, black panthers do not exist in the wild in North America. A black panther is a melanistic version of a large cat, usually an African leopard or a jaguar. These can sometimes be seen in zoos. Melanistic refers to the unusual black coloration produced by a hereditary, genetic mutation. There has never been a black mountain lion documented anywhere in their range."

http://www.mdc.mo.gov/conmag/2006/06/20.htm

Big Cats do live in the US, but there are only reproducing populations in narrow regions. A lot of the big cats you see in the news are escaped pets, or young males looking for an area to set up there range. Here is another telling quote from the MDC.

"Biologists in South Dakota estimate that each year 20 to 25 yearling mountain lions—mostly males—are leaving the Black Hills, forced out by adult males that already occupy the best habitats. One animal was fitted with a radio collar that had been attached during a study of lion survival. It moved 667 miles before it was struck by a train in northern Oklahoma. Another radio-marked male traveled more than 500 miles into northern Minnesota. A recent report documented a radio-marked female from Utah that moved more than 830 miles, roaming through parts of Wyoming and Colorado."

Yes, we do have big cats living among us... but they are few and far between and don't stand much of a chance of restablishing themselves throughout much of the US.

You are much more likely to get struck by lightning out in the bush than to encounter a large cat.

16. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    We've had big cats in my neck of the woods since my dad was a kid 75 plus years ago , and I spotted an entire litter of bobcats when I was about 17 years old . For along time nobody believed us til the DNR went public with their proof .
    Brian

17. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Just to get definitions staight, in the OK - MO area a bobcat is not considered a big cat.

18. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    here in calif. with the hunting of the mountain lion being band, the couger population is is getting to be a problem, here in riverside a large city had a mountain lion found last year in the middle of the city and in near by orange county had a bicycle rider killed last year on a trail next to some town homes. also been a big decline of the number of deer state wide and the indangerd big horn sheep are in a decline in numbers blamed on the couger

19. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    "Dano, if that cat weighed in at 70 pounds it was'nt no bobcat! A Mature bobcat wont go over 15-20lbs on average. A 70 spotted cat is a Lynx and their a far northern cat. Someones yanking your leg or exagerateing the weight...lol"

LOL, yea, I'm sure they was exagerateing. That was the story going around lake area. Like the 600lb catfish bigger than a 14' boat. . LOL. I do know they caught a big land cat, not catfish, around my bank. I just didnt get the official version of story. You know how fishermen stories are. They always sound better to me. Got a be a catfish licking thing. LOL. I've seen many Bobcats, none that big, maybe up to 30lbs if laid up eating good. Who knows, never under estimate mother nature:smile2:

20. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    Not going into detail on this one due to the thread i wrote. People want to kill or shoot things they dont see very often or feel threatned by. Check out the thread called ,"ALITTLE CHEESE TO GO WITH YOUR WHINE" to see what ive got to say on this one.