Mountain Island Lake

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by shrewboy, Aug 19, 2007.

1. shrewboy

shrewboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Has anybody been fishing Mtn Island lake and doing any good. If so, could you share some info or send me a PM. Thanks in advance.

2. MERUSS

MERUSS New Member

State:
    nc
    Shrewboy,

Buddy of mine went today striper fishing just behind Cowans Ford dam.
    He said they trolled live gizzard and threadfin shad. They didn't get one striper ; however they did get 6 blues that he estimated in the 12 to 15 pound range. You might do pretty well there with some slow drifting or even anchor up.

lol meruss:wink:

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Rob I am thinking of heading up there this weekend or ealry next week. Hopefully it is better than Wylie!

4. shrewboy

shrewboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I tryed again last night. Wasn't great. Left late to see how and what the stroms where doing on the radar. After I got there I had about 15 mins to catch bait. Did catch one perch before I went back to the boat dock and waited about 30 minutes to see what the lighting storm that was buidling up was going to do. Was using frozen perch and one fresh one. The wind was two strong for drift fishing and my trolling motor broke or quit working. Long story short, I got a double around midnight in about 30-35' water. Weight was 7 and 12 pds. No other bites.

5. shrewboy

shrewboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Went fishing Thrus night into Fri morning. Surface temp was 90. Just before dark I got about 1 inch of rain at the house. After it stopped raining I went to the lake. Don't know how much rain the lake got. Lake level looked the same in the dark. Tried fishing in the mouth of a creek and caught a small channel on frozen cat flilet while anchored. I used that cat as fresh bait.

Latter I tried suspending bait and drifting the main channel of the lake in the 35-45 foot. Got no bites, so I started to fish in new areas closer to the shore lines in about 15-30 foot range. I managed to get a 12# and 18#. I lost two very large fish due to broken lines and missed a few. My lesson learned was not to horse the big ones in.:roll_eyes: Plus to fish the shallow waters in the dark.

6. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Rob that a really good catch in Mt. Island!! Great job! :wink:

7. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Mountain Island can be a tough lake to fish. It does seem to be pretty bullet proof when a drought comes around however.

I think there will be a 19 foot Carolina Skiff tooling around those waters pretty soon. We should start seeing more reports once that starts happening. See you guys on the water. This is a very good lake for blues and some large flatheads.

8. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Will this be a new fisherman or an old catfisherman with a new boat? Don't leave us hanging. I have been waiting for my invite to fish Mtn. Island with someone you know, guess he is waiting for his new ride. :wink:

9. shrewboy

shrewboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yea, the lake is pretty bullet proof. It hasn't gone down much more than 18-24 inches for the most part. I guess that's the benifit of having a much larger lake upstream. It will only take a few hours to fill the lake up again.

10. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    This guy is no new fisherman. He caught a 55 pound blue on Wylie and a few big flatheads too. Maybe he can put all of us on that sled because it is wide and NICE! I'll bring the food--who will bring the drinks. I can't drink anything harder than tap water so that is an easy one!!

11. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Bro., I have plenty of bottle water, a tube of grass hoppers and my Jeff Gordon Zepco special. Let me know when I need to gather all my stuff up and head to Mtn. Island in my F-150. :smile2:

12. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Im with you Rodger, I think he can fit a whole mess of people on his new ride. Id also love to fish that lake.

13. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Fifteen minutes at no wake speed, one hour and fortyfive minutes at 3,000 RPM and five minutes at 4,000 RPM. Never once got to use my Jeff Gordon special Zepco rig and tube of grasshoopers.

WylieCat has got himself a mighty fine ride and the only fault I found with it is that it is so white and clean. No guts, slime, tail fins, etc. sticking to the floor or sides. Motor sound like a sewing machine and we could actually talk while the boat was underway. I took some photographs with my Brownie while we were on Mtn. Island of the boat, Dieter and the lucky horse shoe.

14. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Congrats. Hey where did that horseshoe come from??:big_smile:

15. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Shhhhhhhhhhhh!!

I told you not to let Billfish and Mudkip know that you got to ride on it first!! :crazy:

I guess retirement has some advantages, and in this case it fit my schedule!!

Thanks out to Mudkip for the lucky horseshoe!!

16. ThaBear

ThaBear New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Boat looks great...wish I could say the same for the Captain....:smile2:
    Better check your horseshoe, its hanging upside down, all your luck will run out that way.
    I personally think you should take each of the CCC members out for a free fishing trip to break it in...I volunteer to be next.
    ThaBear

17. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Ron, you got a place on my boat any day!

Folks, I gotta throw out a big thanks for Billfish76 for his help doing some customizing on my boat. Thanks also to his wife for "loaning him out" for Saturday afternoon!!

Mudkip had a great idea for mouting some flush rod holders in the rear deck, but I was too scared to drill the 2" holes!!! :crazy: I asked Billfish76 if he knew how to do it and he laughed it off and said heck ya!! It looks like they were made into the deck! I will post a pic of them tomorrow.

As if that was not enough he also helped, or I should say I helped him, mount my trolling motor and drill and set he plug for that.

Thanks a bunch Cary for the help!! :big_smile:

BTW, Cary, let your wife know how lucky she is to have a man that knows how to do such great customizing to a catfish boat!!!!

18. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    It is always a hard choice to drill into fiberglass but especially hard when it is a new boat.

Congrats on the new ride. Time to get her slimed up. Billfish...I may call on you to help me wire my pontoon when she arrives:smile2:

19. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    The new boat is nice. I think we got her rigged up just right.

Rodger, just let me know....

20. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Cary!! Where did you get that fat bellied blue!?!?!?!?!