Mountain Island Lake summary for November 14,2009

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by mintaka, Nov 17, 2009.

1. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Arrived at McDowell Creek at 7. Wind was nonexistent. Water temp was estimated to be about 70 - 75 degrees. Using shad and livers , all I got were nibbles on the livers. Moving to another spot , I got no response for about 45 mins. The larger rod was in about 3 feet of water when it suddenly arced!! I grabbed it and knew it had to be big , just not how so. 2 mins. later , it broke and I saw part of the fish. The whole time , I was expecting the line to snap , but it held and led to me landing a new PB , which turned out to be a 16 pound channel. It splashed me in the face upon release , I guess to bid me adieu. The fish was 38 inches long!!

2. catamount311

catamount311 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Sounds like you had a great time. Congrats on your new PB.

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Congrats on the new PB!! T:wink:hat is a heck of a channel cat

4. mintaka

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    With this , it seems my PB's are trumped on an annual basis. Hopefully , I can increase the frequency.

5. holliswood

holliswood Well-Known Member

State:
    King, NC
    I've never been there. Where's it located? Good all around fishing?

6. mintaka

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    It is located on the border of Mecklenburg and Gaston counties. Between Norman and Wylie , it is the smallest of the three. Overall , the fishing is good. It is shallower than Norman , not sure about Wylie. I've caught some stripers there , but few and far between.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  7. tuscan toadfish

tuscan toadfish Active Member

State:
    Matthews,
    Congrats on the PB. Nice channel!