Mount Magazine State Park

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by olefin, Aug 12, 2006.

1. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas

Mount Magazine State Park

I wish everyone in AR could get to see our newest State Park that open this past May.
    The State has gone all on this one. I've never seen a state park that would come close as far as their lodge or cabins. We've stayed in some nice hotels in big cities but none nicer than this one. Great place to spend a weekend or any time. Most all the rooms have balconies with the great view and all the cabins have decks with great views. Also have new campgrounds. This weekend will be a hang gliders meet.. would like to seen that. There was only one flying while we were there.
    And... it's the highest point in AR, a whopping 2,753 feet, it was a lot cooler up there! :big_smile:

The old lodge was built by CCC workers in the 40's and run by the U.S. Forest service... it burn down in 1971. My wife's senior class had their banquet there 50 years ago this past May.

Attached Files:

2. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I haven`t been there yet its on my list one thing we have is beautiful state parks:big_smile_2: O yea hows the Fishing:cool2:

3. kbgrillin

kbgrillin New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Looks like a great place to relax. And fish of course.

4. Stoo

Stoo New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I ride my bike up to the park sometimes. I live about 10 miles west of Paris. It's a nice ride.

Attached Files:

5. Stoo

Stoo New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    The lodge overlooks Blue Mt. lake but that would be one heck of a long cast.:cool2:

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Haven't been to that particular park, but Arkansas is one of my favorite vacation destinations. Love the Ozarks. I've stayed at Devil's Den, one nice park. Didn't fish that lake, but wondered if anything was in it. Love camping at Buffalo Nat'l River campground, stayed in a duplex cabin there when it was still a state park, wonderful. Favorite town in Arkansas: Mountainview in April when the bluegrass festival is going one, not the one at the State Park, but the one on the courthouse square, guess they still hold it, its been years.

7. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Welcome to the BOC. :smile2:

I enlisted in the USAF at Paris. I lived at Booneville long ago and still have a farm there.

We came by Spring Lake the other day, it's just as pretty as it ever was and the road is just as rough and dusty.:eek:oooh:
    We moved to Booneville from TX 2 years after Blue Mountain Lake was built.

8. Maynard

Maynard New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Where is Spring Lake I don,t think i have evr heard of it. My Dad spent 7 years in the TB Sanitorium a long time ago.

9. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Maynard, Welcome to BOC.

From HWY 10, turn north at Belleville, some paved road, some dirt less than 10 miles to Spring Lake. Belleville is the next community east of Havanna... the road to Mt. Magazine. A small lake, it was built by the CCC. The dam is rock and was hand laid.

Having lived all my life in west TX I though Spring lake was the prettiest place I'd ever seen. Some of us kids would skip school in the afternoon and go to Spring Lake swimming.

When we moved to Booneville the TB Sanatorium was going strong.. I had a good friend that died there. Today it's a rehab center for disable.. mostly mental.

Attached Files: