Mounds City/Ohio---Update.

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by Mickey, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    The water is still high and bank fishing is difficult at this time. One boat can launch at a time, but the trailer has to be parked at the top of the hill. Due to high water. The grainerys are receiving grain and should start shipping down river any time. All should be about right in three weeks. For those interested in fishing this area. The Olmsted ramp located seven miles up river can easily be accessed at this time.

2. lil kat

lil kat New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mickey,

Thanks for the update on the river, I would love to go down there and catch me a boat load of fish and then some. Reps to you for that!!!!

3. noah

noah New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    thanks mickey for the info you know i am dieing to get down there so you thank the water will be down enuf in three or four weeks boy i hope so well like i said thank please keep up the updates (2 thumbs up):cool2::big_smile::smile2::tounge_out:

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thanks for the update, this is the type of info that makes the BOC so special.

5. noah

noah New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    yes it does well im dieing to go to mound city fish all day then i bet the big cats show up at night under that barge:smile2::cool2::big_smile: ill be ready all i need is the magnets to tie up to the barge

6. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    I was there on monday as reported. The water is still up but is dropping. There was lots of trailers of futured grain coming in to the grainerys. They had grain everywhere, but did not appear to be loading the barges. This should start in the next three weeks. The fishing is always best when the barges are being loaded. The loaders allow many bushels of grain to go into the river and it attracts the fish like a magnet.

7. noah

noah New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    :smile2::smile2::big_smile:i will be there :big_smile::smile2::smile2:

8. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Next time I talk to my uncle which should probably be this weekend I will ask him when they are going to start going full time loading of the barges. If i recall they should be starting any day. Maybe the high water put them on stand by. But after I find out ill let you all know

9. noah

noah New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    yeah lets us know i will be there with bells on do you know of any campgrounds any were close to there i will make a weekend of it :cool2::smile2::tounge_out::smile2::cool2:

10. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    Noah there are no campgrounds close by. Overnite camping by ones self may bot be safe in that area.

11. noah

noah New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    yeah i know what you mean if it isnt to hot i will go durring the day:cool2::smile2::cool2:

12. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Noah the closest camp ground i can remember is at horseshoe lake which is about thirty five mins away from mound city. and after talking to my cousin, she said that her dad told her that they should start loading in full swing by the end of the month and are loading now its just spotty. but by the end of kthe month they will be loading grain like they normally do which is all the time.

13. howards

howards Member

State:
    IL.
    Horseshoe Lake has camping and it like 15 mins. from Mound City...or if you not some kind if nuts case:smile2: you could use my yard for free for a weekend..it only 20 mins.from the Ohio River or 5 from the Mississippi River at Thebes.

14. noah

noah New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    yeah the end of the month will give me plenty of time to get everything ready

lol thanks howards i wouldnt say im nuts but i am weird lol:smile2::smile2: the only thing i dont like about mounds is river bank and night dont mix i usualy have a helper :wink::wink::wink: if u no what i mean i have had a lot of close calls there with drunks/thugs and what have ya but i will say it like this" a country boy can surive""id like to spit some beachnut in that dudes eye and........." but yeah i am tryin to get a hand full of fellers to go down but it isnt working very well:sad2: we will see but thanks for the yard

15. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    when you do go if you need bait, there is a spot on the levee inbetween mound city and cairo on the cache river thats real good to get small bluegill and crappie out of. just stay on the levee towards cairo from mound city and you will see some tower looking things and theres water right there with a water intake to allow water to pass under the levee. just fish in that little intake area and you can get tons of bluegills and crappies in no time. just be careful because there are normally quite a few gar in there as well. but who can blame them with such tasty treats right by

16. noah

noah New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    IF I GET MY STUFF TOGATHER i will take my bluegill pole:smile2::cool2::smile2: