Moultrie on the 15th

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by blackwaterkatz, May 16, 2009.

1. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I spent most of the morning dodging thunderstorms after getting to the lake around 0930. I started out drifting fresh cut threadfin shad east of the channel in 45', and managed two blues around 10#'s, then the wind picked up some, forcing me to move to more protected waters. Water temps were around 76 degrees, south wind 5-15, drifting fresh cut threadfin shad. Around 3 pm, my daughter and her husband joined me to help finish the day with about 15 fish boated. The largest were a 32# blue catfish, and Tiffany's first flathead at 28#'s. These were released, but the smaller ones will end up in some crisco at a family fish fry. :wink:
    This was the first day I've had to fish the lake since about February, so it was a good one. Pics attached...:big_smile:

Attached Files:

2. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Sounds like a great day! i will be headed that way soon,cant wait!! :big_smile:

3. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Congrats to your daughter on the PB flattie. Thanks for the report and glad ya got to go fishing.

4. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Doug, she really did a great job on that fish. The water was pretty rough, bouncing us around until I could drop the drift sock and turn into the wind and waves, but she hung on, letting the fish take drag when it wanted to, until she got it tired out and then worked it off the bottom so we could net it. Since it was getting rougher by the minute, I elected to head to the sheltered boat landing so we could weigh and get pictures, then we released it near the landing, still in good shape. It attracted quite a few onlookers, some of whom had never seen a flathead catfish.

5. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    Glad yall caught em Tommy. Man that belly on the blue reminds me of my fishin partner:smile2:

6. scwolf

scwolf New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    That was a big bellied blue for sure.....Congrats Tommy on getting on the fish.

7. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks for the report Tommy. Great job on releasing the bigger fish too. That blue looked like it was about to pop. Didn't know you was a Key West man. Me too. Great boats.

8. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    yeah, Jason, I like those boats a lot. Sometimes wish I had bought the 19' like I started to, though, for the extra space.

9. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Congrats to Tiffany on the PB flattie (my favorite water critter)
    I know you where dodging weather, I'm keeping an eye on your forecasts.lol
    Is that fat blue full of eggs? Hopefully them dudes don't stop takin' bait while I'm there. Boating a big blue would be nice! ( I want to make a few of these Indiana guys a little jealous:wink:)
    I'm almost there!:cool2:

10. deerhntr22

deerhntr22 New Member

State:
    Greenville, SC
    Nice job...that is a big belly for sure....great report

11. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    My Best to your daughter on her PB, did she do much hollowing while she was letting him take out drag?? Congratulations !! sounds like you got on them

12. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Great job Tommy glad yall got on some nice fish. I hope they are still biting good this weekend.

13. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Man, I'll be 62 tomorrow, today is my 42nd wedding anniversary; so please overlook the fact that I posted the date as the 15th instead of Saturday, the 16th. :embarassed: (Old-Timers Disease)

14. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    A big salute to you Tommy !!!!! and Happy Birthday.........62 years old and STILL giving them ole catfish hell........see you guys this weekend !!

15. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    So Tommy in doing the math,62 years old,married 42 years I come up with 20 years you were a happy fisherman!!!:smile2::wink::big_smile:Dont tell your wife I said that!!!!:crazy::roll_eyes:

16. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    That may be true, Jim. :wink: Naw, seriously, she has always been very tolerant of my fishing and hunting hobbies. The stress of being married to me has probably aged her faster than it has me. lol
    If my memory doesn't fail me again, hope to see you and others for breakfast at Canal Lakes on Saturday morning. 7:00 sound ok? I'll have the coffee hot.

17. scwolf

scwolf New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    HAPPY B'DAY TOMMY! and Congrats on the 42yrs of marriage!! Glad your wife is tolerant so you can keep giving the good info and advice you give on here.

Sounds like a big gathering at canal this weekend, good luck to those fishing, and good conversing to those just BS'ing...lol

18. catmandosimpsonville

catmandosimpsonville New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    GREAT Job guys and Gals!!
    Any suggestion on where to set up a good drift for Saturday morning,THIS saturaday YES
    I will be in the lower lake, leaving out of Hills birght and early.
    Help a brother out!!:smile2:

19. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    It all depends on the wind and water conditions, Jim. What are you riding in, in case I'm on the water?

20. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    VERY VERY nice report, and fish, Tommy! Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I don't visit the "lake" section as much as I should.
    Bill in SC