Motorguide Question

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by westman407, Jun 13, 2008.

1. westman407

westman407 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have a Motorguide trolling motor that has 30# thrust. It has a foot pedal control. The problem is that no matter what speed I have it set on if I take my foot off it will turn really hard to the right. If I set it on constant speed and try to take my foot off it will turn as far right as possible (which becomes reverse). Is there a set screw or someway to tighten the shaft where it will hold a course. Thanks for any help with this:big_smile:

2. westman407

westman407 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Anyone????:crazy:

3. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I had the same problem years ago with a Motorguide, why I don't use them anymore but to answer your question, mine was missing a black plastic piece in the shape of a U that went in between the shaft and the gator mount bracket. Hope that helps. That was a 1996 model 30 or 28 pound thrust.

Bad thing was I never used that thing until I lost a prop and me and a buddy were on a river with strong current and that stupid shaft kept rotating backwards like you described so my buddy had to hold the shaft in place while I pressed the power. If I didn't need it at that time, it would still be on the bottom of that river! I got back to the house and was looking at it and grabbed the bag that came with it and noticed that black piece and put it in. Bought that boat new a few weeks before that and had the trolling motor instaled by dealer and they didn't put that piece in and come to find out, they were the reason I lost my prop - only good thing from it all was I got a new prop that was better than the original one.

4. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have a motorguide trolling motor and on the bottom of the foot control take off the metal plate. then you will see the tension screw to tighten up the pressure it takes to move the motor. It is real simple process.

5. westman407

westman407 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thank you very much for the replies and assistance. I really appreciate your assistance.:big_smile:I will try both

6. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    My Motorguide also lost some sort of bushing that controlled tension and wobbling of the shaft. When I figured out what the problem was ( I had never owned or dealt with a trolling motor before) I found a piece of plastic plumbing pipe as close to the size of the shaft as possible. I split it long-ways and cut it off to fit up in the clamp area. I stuffed both split pieces up in there and then found an old piece of car heater hose which I whacked off just wide enough to make a cushion for a heater hose clamp. Then I cut the piece of hose length-wise just enough to circle the shaft and put it up against the bottom of the plastic pipe pieces and put the heater hose clamp on it to keep the plastic pipe (bushings) from falling out. This gave much better control for an old wore out motor and seems to be working just fine.