motorcycle battery

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by jamesgrogers, Mar 19, 2008.

1. jamesgrogers

jamesgrogers New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Here's what I was thinking. I wanted to transfer some weight around in my 15 ft jon boat so I was thinking about moving the starting battery to the front under the deck, then I thought just maybe I could use a smaller motorcycle battery for the engine and leave it in the back to save money on wiring since wire would cost about 2$ a foot to relocate. I have a 25 horse evenrude. I was thinking that a motorcycle battery would work, since it will turn over an 88 cubic inch high performance engine. Any thoughts?

2. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hook it up in your yard and give it a try. be ready to have a pull start just in case, when on the water.

A bike and boat motor, different strokes for different folks.

3. jamesgrogers

jamesgrogers New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    pull starting is not a prob usually fires with half a pull. the starter on my bike is about the same size as the one on the evenrude but is much higher torque, surely if the battery can handle that it will not have a problem with the outboard. and might just lighten the load and take up less space.

4. fowlmood

fowlmood New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    You might be able to save some $$$ on wire by buying some cheap jumper cables, cutting the clamps and splicing the wire together

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If it is a high enough amperage battery I don't see why it won't work

6. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    If it will turn a big twin, it should turn an outboard fine.

7. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia

I see no reason why it wouldn't work if the motor is in good firing condition.
    I just had the bright idea of hooking up a bike battery to my fish finder to keep it separate from any other interference. I just wonder how long the battery could take the drain since it would only be running the fish finder. Anybody tried that?

8. WTL

WTL New Member

State:
    alabama
    I used a smaller battery for years for just the accesories, never came close drawin it down in a day. I think it was an electric wheelchair battery. I would say definitly go for it, it probably should work, only thing you need to do is make sure you charge it good at the end of each trip and take some jumper cables just in case you gotta jump yourself from your deep cycle battery.

9. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I have also used a small battery to power my flasher for ice fishing
    It runs all day.

10. jamesgrogers

jamesgrogers New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I changed my bike battery last year and still had the old one. I changed it out because a friend gave me a new gell cell for my bike that he got off a brand new Harley that had been wrecked that he bought for parts. The old one charged just fine. I hooked it up in the yard and it worked great I am going to the lake this weekend and try it out on the water when i ran it on the muffs I checked the leads with a volt meter and got 15 volts so I am sure the charging system is working fine. as far as jumping it off at the lake it is just a 25 horse and pull starting it only takes one pull I usually pull start it once every time I use it just to make sure it stays that easy to pull off. I am goin to put the big battery in the front to run any acc. and lights and keep that one on a battery tender so it stays charged up