Motor won't stay running

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by SGTREDNECK, Oct 19, 2009.

1. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    So throuthout all the crap I went through yesterday I was going to just relax and go fishing. But the engine wouldn't stay running. It has been sitting for 6 months. So I am going to get some ether today and spray it in the carbs and see if it will clean them out. Is this the wrong way?

2. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    worked on my truck. as long as nothings in there like a bees nest. fire it up and spray away while you work the throttle.

3. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    yeeah that's the wrong way. it can easily injure the motor.

carb kits are cheap. gas lines are cheap. cleaning a gas tank out is cheap.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Most definitely a very bad idea. Two cycle engines rely upon a coating of oil on the cylinder walls to reduce friction and heat. When you spray those type of chemicals into the carbs, you either completely remove or partially remove the oil. Do your self a favor and go to your local auto parts store and buy the carb repair kits for your motor. Takes a few hours of your time, but how much is your motor worth? There is a right way and a wrong way, and it is simply amazing how many people prefer the wrong way.

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC

These type of answers will cost you your engine.

He didn't ask about a truck, 4 stroke engine. He asked about an outboard, and ether is never a good idea, in any engine.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If you didn't change the fuel out before you started it then it will be a bear to keep running. I don't mean to add fresh fuel I mean total new fuel. The old fuel will began to break down in a month or so and at six months it isn't fit to kill bushes in the fence row. Don't never spray either or use automotive type of fuel treatment in your 2 stroke. Mix you some fuel in a squirt bottle and spray away.
    Now take the plugs out clean them and try my squirting suggestion.

7. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    drain the carbs fill full with sea foam for about 5 hours then drain and again ...

Fill with fresh gas/oil mix ... fire her up keep her runnin for a bit then clean er out...

95% of the time theres build up on the needle and seat.

8. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    whatever you do USE ONLY GAS WITHOUT ETHANOL, i mess up and didnt know that. Now im rebuilding my carb. When i opened it up it was full of little black particles. The feul pump was all wrinkled up and would not run right. the guys on here told me about the ethanol, it breaks down the rubber in the lines and in the carb. I found out the hard way. Good luck and happy catching!

9. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD

Thats great advice if you can find gas with no ethanol. Impossible to find here. Its weird though, i started getting my boat gas from a different gas station than usual (still got ethanol), and my motor is idling better and running smoother. The gas these days is crap. I know ethanol isn't helping, but i'm not sure its the only problem. Seems like they're not refining it as good or something.

10. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    So i got the boat to stay running. But I have to throtle the engine. When i back off it stalls. I am going to take off the carbs in the next few days and spray them with some cleaner. I dont want to take them apart unless i have to. I didn't drain the gas. It was about half full with stabil in it. It say for 4 months. The boat shop wants 65 bucks an hour to work on it and says its 3 hours min to clean the carbs.

11. Tim70

Tim70 New Member

State:
    Maplewood, Missouri
    You are probably going to have to disassemble. That carb cleaner will eat up those gaskets if you dont.

12. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    If it sat for a while, change all fuel filters along with cleaning carbs, it just gums everything up.....:wink:

13. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    you might be better off to soak the carbs in fresh clean gas with sea foam than to use carb cleaner. If you have a compressor blow the carbs out good. Don't mess up your float levels. Use the aforementioned squirt bottle method. Get new gas.