Motor will not idle?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by okiekrawler, May 25, 2006.

1. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    well i finally got my 88 johnson 25 back together. i have another little issue to deal with. it does not idle very well. it runs great wide open but when ya slow down it will idle for a few seconds and unless you keep the throttle opened up a little it dies. is this merely an adjustments could something else be wrong.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Rodney do you have a manuel where you can do a sync and link on it. If not I will try to describe it to you. If it is in sync then it most likely just needs idleing up but lets ck the sync and link first.

3. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    Rodney Willard is the man with outboard motors. At the Chattanooga gathering mine was doing the same thing and it took Willard less than 5 minutes to fix. After he laid his hand on it and made a couple of adjustments it would puuuurrr like a kitten. Thanks again Willard

4. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    too bad he won't be at Keystone.

5. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    willard, i dont have a manual. i would appreciate any help you can give me.

6. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Willard, please post your procedure, dont pm him. I want to know how to adjust this also. Thanks:smile2:

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    This is a tiller steer 25 isn't it?

8. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    yes willard it is a tiller steer.

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Rodney take the front cover off the carb and where you can see inside the throat of the carb. You will have a shutter or butterfly (flat plat that stands straight up when engaged. The first one is the choke. Work the choke and you can see which one I am speaking of.
    The other one is the throttle shutter ( butter fly) You reach over and move your throttle handle and move it. Let your throttle handle all the way back to idle position and look inside the carb and the shutter should be closed.
    Turn the throttle control just a hair and see if the shutter starts to open if it does then it should be alright.
    If it is alright then just turn the idle screw up just a little to increase the idle.
    Some of the motors had an idle adjustment down at the end of the tiller arm bext to where it swivles at the motor.
    If your motor is equiped with two carbs then you need to adjust the linkage to the other carb to make the two shutters open at the same time.
    Look at the fly wheel and there should be a arm going up under the fly wheel and this is the timming advance arm and should be working freely also. while you are peering up under there make sure no wires are dragging on the fly wheel.
    I hope this helps and if it don't then let me know and also if you have the low speed adjustment the adjust it with the engine in geat running under a load in the water.

10. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    hey willard, i adjusted my idle today. it was a piece of cake. thanks for the help. i had to adjust the butterfly and the idle. but your direction made it very simple. again i say thanks. it is amazing how smoothly that little motor runs when it is tuned properly.

11. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    wow he really does know his stuff
    hope you get -r- running

12. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Thanks for the follow up Rodney. Sorry it took me so long to post it but My job has been hectic to say the least these last few days.

13. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    Sorry it took me so long to get back to this post, but see Rodney I told you Willard is the man. The motor he helped me with just amazed my friend when he took his boat out. I would also like to say thanks again Willard for the knowledge and more for the BSing around the camp fire.

14. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Awh gee mark you guys are making me :feel_good:

Mark the BS around the camp fire comes natural. The other sometimes I have to scratch my head.:lol: :lol:

Thanks for the kind words.