Motor up or down when river fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by riverbud55, Jan 17, 2007.

1. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    just wondering when your fish a river with a fair amount of current is it best to leave the motor lowerd or raised when anchored

when fighting a big flat on the river, the fish will be coming in from the rear of the boat and the chance of a fish pulling the line across the lower unit is high with the motor is lowerd (jusst about had it happen on a 30#er) and was thinkn it may be better if the engine were up but that would put the skag out a few ft behind the transom and mite be just as bad

the bigger flats i have gottin in the past have a been cought on a pontoon and i fish off of the front with the rear of the boat facing up stream(not that hard in a toon) and now i have got a alum bass boat and will need to put the bow into the current

just wondering how ya all do it

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    The motor helps stabilize the boat from swaying back and forth when there's a lot of current, provided it's not a tiller motor - you can also use the motor to move you left or right if you didn't get anchored exactly where you wanted to be.

Never had to worry about fish getting in the motor - just have to be conscious of where the fish is and work him away from any danger spots. If you can't control him in the water, he's not ready to be landed.

3. dwordenfish

dwordenfish New Member

State:
    massachusetts
    i notice in the videos that sometimes people have a 5 gallon bucket drifting behind the boat tied off to one side while anchored on a river. Can anyone tell me why you do that? Is it to get the boat on an angle? I thought it would be one more thing to get tangled on.

thanks Dave

4. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    I leave my motor down to help control in the current.

5. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I have always left my motor down with the bow faceing forward:smile2:

6. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I always leave my motor down. This helps steady the boat and I can cut the motor in any direction I want to swing the rear of the boat if desired. Mr.T I don't see what difference it makes if it is tiller or console the desired effect can be achieved with either. I have tiller steer and haven't ever had any trouble setting my motor in a desired direction in heavy currents. Vern

7. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Dave, I have used a bucket as an anchor to prevent boat movement from side to side. Depending on the main anchor at the front, and where it is attached to the boat in current, the back of the boat can oscillate back and forth, and so I'm sure that is why they were using the bucket. It is best not to have anchor lines where one is expecting to land a fish.

bayrunner ray

8. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    As others have already posted - I leave the motor down and use it as a tiller to keep the boat oriented the way I want - did the same with a tiller 9.9 on my Jon.

As far as the bucket - I use a drift sock in the same manner when the tide or a current is running. I put the bow into the current/tide. Put out the bow anchor, let the current/tide pull me backwards over the structure/hole, cinch up the anchor line and then put out the drift sock over the stern. The current pulling on the drift sock keeps the boat lined up with the bow anchor and prevents the stern from swinging in the wind. The drift sock can be retrieved when a fish gets on or you can let it go and pick it up afterwards since it has a bouy on it. If there is no tide/current running, I'm back to using an anchor off the stern.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I've seen tiller motors that are so loose they won't stay where you put them - trying to use one of those always seemed a losing proposition, as you'd get it set where you want, then it would wiggle itself some other direction...

I suppose if your tiller motor is tight enough that it will hold whatever position you put it in, then it's no different than a remote steer motor.

10. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky

M.T there is a tension screw on most outboards that will let you adjust the tension of the turning mechanism. Vern

11. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I never had the problem of my motor getting in the way. Maybe you should walk towards the front of the boat next time and try to force the fish with you. Ether that if your having that much trouble. Cut loose from your anchor and go after him.

12. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I leave my motor down in current when anchored. It acts like a rutter to keep the boat from swaying back and forth and you can turn the motor to move to one side or the other, how far depends on how much anchor rope you have out..

13. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    Your right parish my mercury 40 horse has a lever on the bottom below the cowling. If you slide it left its as flimsy as a wet noodle you slide it right you gotta body slam it to get it to move.:tounge_out:

14. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'm usually motor up...but that is just in case I come off of anchor. So I won't unsuspectingly drift back into any submerged rocks or logs that I cant see. Props are expensive!

15. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    Motor up - mainly because of weed and other junk that comes down in the current where I fish. If I see a good fish roll in the distance, I hate wasting valuable time clearing the prop of half a ton of rubbish before I can get onto it! :)

16. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    I agree with the other posters leave the motor down...far more stable.

17. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    in my opinion its not necessarry to pull the motor all the way up to get out of debris coming down stream. It really depends on the amount of current, you can just put the skeg down and that would in most cases be enough to control the side to side motion of the boat and "set" it to where you want to be fishing. with only the skeg down there is much less lower unit in the water to catch debris. I play with it until it does what I want it to do. Thats on the river...... If I am on a lake Drift fishing, usually I have the socks out and motor up, if its not going the way I like, I will lower the motor to the point of controlling it the way I want to go. Just takes experimenting......... Thats my take on this subject. :big_smile: Mac

18. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    No other opinions on this subject? I hate to be the last one to make a post on anything.