Motor trouble

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Gomer, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    I have an older 70 hp evenrude and the last few times I have taken it out it gets up on plane ok but all of a sudden the prop free spins, I let off the gas long enough for it to get a new bite and it does ok for a while then it will free spin again.
    I don't know much about outboards but am I fixing to loose the gears in my lower?
    Or is it something I need to do with the triming of the prop?
    I would like to have an idea what it might be before I take it in to be looked at?

2. Skipper

Skipper New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Exactly how old is the motor. If its real old it may have the electronic shifter. If its not electronic its probably a linkage out of adjustment. More than likely its under the motor cover on the side of the block.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Sounds like you have spun a prop but get me the model number so we know what year we are fooling with here. You can take the prop off and look at he rubber bushing that the prop shaft fits thru and you should see some small rubber bits there or just put it in gear and stand On the prop and if the prop turns without turning the motor then its spun.
    If this is the case either buy a new prop or take that one to a prop shop and have it rehubed.

OH be very carful of standing on the prop I have lost some skin off my ankle doing that.:big_smile: Ans make sure the switch is off I have started engines like that.

4. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    It kinda sounds like it could possibly be prop cavitation too.This can occur when the motor is mounted to high on the boat and it will sorda loose contact with the water.My boat will do it when I get in rough water or when I trim it to high and it want stop until I slow down enough for the motor to get back down in the water good and get a good bite.

5. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    sounds like what my pontoon use to do before I lost my propeller. kinda like it would just rev up or something. Then I had to replace my propeller because it came off going across the lake. the guy at the boat shop said that since my motor came off of a bay liner boat that it could have been the wrong prop pitch and starving for water so to speak. cause if I slowed down it would stop doing it.

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I would agree with what Willard said, too. The prop bushing is probably going bad. Sounds like it just started all at once; that's the most likely, anyway. I've had it happen a couple of times, but you can have the prop re bushed if it is in pretty good shape, or buy a new prop.

7. whichrod

whichrod New Member

State:
    columbia sc
    um i dont think evenrude has a rubber thing in the prop it has a sheer pin , what it sounds like to me is the dog cluch is bad it looks like a wishbone looking thing that slides a grear back and forth to engage forward and reverse

orrrrr its what chrise blue said

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

Even the ones with the shear pin had the rubber in the hub. That is why I wanted the model number. That is why it is important to id the motor before making a diag.

9. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    Thanks for the info guys. I have a 1984 70 hp evinrude with trim and tilt serial # 433587 and it has an alum prop

10. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Ok, you don't have a shear pin. I suspect you need a new prop hub pressed in. You can the prop rebuilt for a fraction of the price of a new one. Check with you local outboard repair shop and ask them if they rebuild props or if they can send a prop in for repair. It never hurts to have a spare prop. You might to buy a prop the exact size you have and also have you prop rebuilt.

11. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    Thank you for all the input I think it is the prop instead of the gears in the lower unit