motor trouble

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by coeboy1, Aug 23, 2009.

1. coeboy1

coeboy1 New Member

State:
    nc
    any one know why my motor would just strat loading up?? seems to me like it just is not burning the gas fast enough. plugs are new carbs just gone through new water pump.:angry:

2. The Flathead Reaper

The Flathead Reaper New Member

State:
    Grays Cree
    hey tommy............better put some of that marine stabil in your gas to help it burn the ethanol off........it can do some serious damage..........not saying thats it............but its a good start

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If its loading up as in to rich then its a carb not shutting off at the needle and seat like its suppose to or you are loosing power on a cylinder. also check the choke to make sure its opening back up after starting.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    check for spark

5. coeboy1

coeboy1 New Member

State:
    nc
    already running marine stabil in gas mix. will check for spark on a plug wires. not sure how to check the carb thing??

thanks guys

6. coeboy1

coeboy1 New Member

State:
    nc
    i dont think its losing power when in neautral it will rev high after it cleans it self up a little in reverse it will run strong after it stops bogging in drive it just wont go like its suppose to??

7. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Tommy has it ran rite since the carbs were gone thru or was this the first time you ran it after going thru carbs ,the carbs might need to be adjusted under load ,just a thought

8. Alabamacatman

Alabamacatman New Member

State:
    Phenix city,Ala
    Do you have a metal or plastic gas tank.And has your boat been sitting up..I use stabil and had a metal tank and it still got water after sitting up a while thou..So check your gas pump some into a clear glass and check for water

9. The Flathead Reaper

The Flathead Reaper New Member

State:
    Grays Cree
    tommy........nick informed me that you might ought to open those vents on your tanks.........something about some kinda weird vaccuum............says itll be obvious to spot..............watch the siphon bulb and see if it colapses while running.........says he has to run his with tank lids off sometimes........

10. coeboy1

coeboy1 New Member

State:
    nc
    thanks kevin ill check that out tomorrow. ya jollyman it ran fine after the carbs were gone through just happened the last 2 times i took it out

11. todobiennc

todobiennc New Member

State:
    nc
    what year - does it have carbs or fuel injectors

12. coeboy1

coeboy1 New Member

State:
    nc
    it is an 1982 it has 2 carbs

13. larry d. grady

larry d. grady New Member

State:
    north caro
    tommy ,what brand motor do you have?

14. coeboy1

coeboy1 New Member

State:
    nc
    it is a 1982 50 hp merc any ideas?? i found a loose nut on the top carb the one that holds the carb to the motor has a gasket behind it tighten it up hooked up the water hose and it started fine runs great idles great again.
    you think it might run diff. in the river or does it matter wheather its hooked up to a hose or in a body of water will it run the same??:big_smile:

15. larry d. grady

State:
    north caro
    tommy,im a boat mechanic,not that i know every thing,and dont claim to,but i dont think that that one screw out of four holding the carb on is the problem unless some one used a old gasket when putting them back on .you may have a coil thats breakig down when it gets hot,also your stator has a high side and alow side,it could run great at low speeds and bad at high speeds,and could also do the opposite.you could test it yourself if you had a multi meter and the service manual.also make sure your fuel line is not hooked up backwards.hope this helps

16. larry d. grady

State:
    north caro
    also ,now that i think about it ,a 50 h.p. merc only has 2 nuts hoding each carb on ,so yes that could have been the problem.but yes,always lake test a repair before you go on a trip.

17. coeboy1

coeboy1 New Member

State:
    nc
    thanks larry. sent ya a pm

18. spigglejuice

spigglejuice New Member

State:
    nc
    Motor problems Yeah I have a problem with my motor, it will start once it starts It will idle long enough for me to put it in gear and it will run great but the motor will not idle.:confused2: