Motor triming itself up on its own

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by three_rivers, May 26, 2006.

1. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    This last tuesday while washing the boat the motor decided to trim itself up. It just kept trimming up and i could play with the switch on the motor and it would stop for a moment and trim itself back up. This boat has a switch on the motor, throttle handle and one on the bow. At the time i had just finished washing the motor and already washed the others earlier. I had the wife hold the switch in the down position on the motor and went and trimmed it down with the bow switch. After that it hasn't done it since. I'm just wondering if you guys have ever seen a common problem of this nature when it comes to the pump, motor trim switch, and or anything else? I haven't the time over this weekend to play with it so as soon as next week rolls around i'm going to try an make it rear its ugly head again while i have the tools out to find it. Or should i just not wash the boat anymore?

It is on a 2005 90hp mercury elpto.

2. dcmust

dcmust New Member

State:
    missouri
    It sounds to me like maybe you soaked the switch with water and shorted it out. Now that it dried out you have no more short. Just a guess and good luck.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    You've got a problem that needs fixed.

Disconnect battery power when your not around the boat.

Switches should not short out, wet or dry. When they do, the trim motor keeps running and wiring melts down, taking with it everything in contact.

I've seen high dollar Ranger bass boats do it from the bow switch to the trim motor and all the boat's wiring with it,

I just rewired a 225 Suzuki that had a bad switch on the motor. An 1800.00 repair.

When you have time, try to duplicate the problem and isolate the switch or wires causing it.

4. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Well if the thing is a 2005 it should be under warrenty still I would take it in.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I am with Bob on this I have seen boats burned to the ground from this happening.

6. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Thanks guys i knew i'd get some sound advice! The battery is disconnected for now and soon as we get off work i'll be out there doing a little boatsitting with a waterhose. I'm just glad it happened at home instead of downriver on the mississippi! Thanks again fellas!