Motor took a swim Now got a rattle!

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by my4x4awd, Jul 5, 2006.

1. my4x4awd

my4x4awd New Member

State:
    TN
    sad2: I won't go into the story telling today but my 1984 40hp Yamaha recently took a swim. After getting the motor home I pulled sparkplugs and drained the lower end and flushed out the carbs and lower end, new gas plugs and oil. Now here is the problem. The motor still starts on the first or second pull but I have a rattle. It doesn’t sound like any rod knocking. It will run great in Idle or wide open throttle. I took the fly wheel off and nothing seems loose. It does vibrate some now and the flywheel seems a little wobbly but not signs of rubbing anything. It must be internal, I’m afraid it may fly to pieces. I ran it hard the other day and it didn’t fly apart but still got a rattle. Any Ideas?
    Also thanks again for all the welcomes. Craig

2. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    ask Bobpaul and Bubbacat on their outboard advise thread! they the man!!!
    I am not a mechanic but I'll guess that maby when it went swimmin, if it was hot the cold water caused somethin to warp inside?
    wishin you well! Lionel

3. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    sorry, my bad! u already askin them. (just tell me to shut up!)

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Craig I thought those rice burnners were suppose to rattle.:big_smile: :big_smile: J/K

On a serouis side I really would be guessing because I am not there to trace the noise down. If the fly wheel is wobbleing the pull it an ck it real good. Or do like I do and take a piece of dowel rod and put one end in the ear and while the motor is running place the other end close to where you susspect the noise to be and try to track it down.

I have seen them viberate from the motor mounts being broke and it could have one broke from going into the drink.

By the way get you a short piece of chain and bolt that motor to some thing close to the transom so it won't go for a deep swim on yea again.
    Be sure to let us know what you discover that is doing this.

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Craig, The dowel rod works for detecting noises. If you happen to suspect it's under the flywheel, get Flaboy to do it for you, and shorten up the dowel rod.:hell_boy:

Quit running it until you find the problem.