motor title

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by MrFlathead, Aug 28, 2009.

1. MrFlathead

MrFlathead New Member

State:
    Il
    What is the point of an outboard motor title?

2. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    so that the state knows what we have in order to collect even more of our tax money

proof of ownership,
    if I were to come over to your house and take your lawn mower, who is to say that it isn't mine. a title is proof that the name on the front of the title is the owner

3. MrFlathead

MrFlathead New Member

State:
    Il
    So can you license a boat without the title to the motor that is on it?

4. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    To know for sure you would probably have to call the county treasurer, or see if you can title it without a motor and just not tell them you have a motor on it:wink:

5. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    Illinois is a state that does NOT use outboard motor titles, but if you do have the title KEEP IT ! for when you sell it.

6. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Titles may mean another tax and a hassle to some people, but to the person that it might have been stolen from it can be a blessing.

When a titled motor is stolen, it's much easier to track back to an owner than if it's not titled. If you look at theft and recovery statistics from states that don't require titling, their theft rates are going to be higher and the recovery rate much lower.

In my opinion, not only outboards and boats should be titled in all states but every trailer and construction equipment should be titled as well....