Motor sneezing and coughing. "Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by seahaggy, Apr 12, 2009.

1. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    RATS :eek:oooh: My 1990 30 HP Evinrude Tiller Style is coughing and sneezing as she runs. Runs good for around 10 seconds or so then starts doing this and dies. Tried some seafoam in the carb, had put some in the gas tank before winter. Also tookout plugs and shot some down in there also. Let it set for awhile. Started right up but again around 10 seconds the coughing and sneezing starts and she dies. I did run the motor till it died before winter storage to remove the gas. Gas Tank is 3/4 full and i did put fuel stabilizer for over the winter storage. Shook tank good to mix oil again and added new fuel filter before trying to start her. Any suggestions??? Ordered a carb rebuild kit already hoping thats my problem but not sure. Don't want to start a guessing game on her. Thanks for the help.

2. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    :0a4: Was hoping for an answer by now.Where are all the boat mechanics ???

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I think you posted twice, and they are on the other post. LOL

4. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    :005: Did'nt know where i should go with my problem.

5. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    Is the ball on the fuel line staying hard or does it get real soft and collapse. You might have a hole in the line somewhere and sucking air that would do it! You might just have to get the carb cleaned out and rebuilt. It wouldnt hurt.

6. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    :smile2: You guys have got me checking the fuel system from tank to motor lol which i did and im down to the carb.Thanks all suggestions are very much appreciated and needed.

7. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I'm an armchair mechanic. Here goes:

1 get some new gas. burn the old stuff in your car. test.

2 sneezing means the fuel/air mix is lean. turn the idle adjustment out 1/8 or a turn or something and test.

8. Bait Bandit

Bait Bandit New Member

State:
    West Georg
    Sounds like to me that old corn gas has had it's way with your fuel pump, try this with it running pump the bulb real slow and see if it starts running better, if so it's your fuel pump, the new fuel pumps from Rude are corn proof but they aint cheep. I have a 1988 15 hp doing the same thing a couple of weeks ago.