Motor running bad

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Mike81, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Went out for a run on the river today, tried to do a little fishin but river is really high and flooded, my hole I ran to had fish in it but the current there was just short of whitewater :confused2::crazy:
    Any ways motor ran great running up there and half way back then it started cutting out..it got worse and worse until all I could do was limp back to the ramp at 1800 rpms max and still cutting out sometimes. :angry:
    Would start right back up but could not run any rpms?? Plenty of fuel in it...guess I'll change the fuel filter and check it out tomorrow or this weekend. Don't know if it's not getting fuel or ignition problem?? It was flowing water out cooling system so don't think it was hot at all...
    It's a Yamaha 200 VMAX HPDI with only 90 hours on it...

Anyone got one of these motors and had this problem or have any ideas??? :confused2:

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a fuel problem. Perhaps a filter, perhads its sucking air at one of the gas line connections.

These modern motors also have safety features that keep them from hitting high RPMs if there is a problem. Not sure if these are on boat motors yet, but it could be that.

Also, how long has it been since you ran the motor, perhaps something (water) found its way into your fuel. A can of Sea Foam could fix you right up if that is the case.

3. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Yeh, I am gonna change the filters and make sure no lines are leaking, I didn't see or smell gas but you never know. I hadn't run it in a little while but it has 50 gals of fresh gas in it with stabil and some water remover in it... I gotta get the book out and see if it has any kinda sensors that would cause this if they sensed a problem.

4. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I wasn't thinkin, should have posted under Outboard section, Mods please move when you have a chance...Thx...:tounge_out:

5. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Well, flushed the cooling system today, nothing plugged up, water flowing everywhere. Checked fuel filters and fuel is flowing fine. I think for some reason the ecm thinks there is a problem and is putting it in to rev limiting mode. Gonna call Yamaha tomorrow and get it in to a mechanic. It's a 2002 model but only has just over 90 hours on it!! Still under the extended warranty until July so gonna get it it and make sure it's fixed right!!!!!!!! :wink:

6. fishmccall

fishmccall New Member

State:
    Anderson sc
    Hope that u get it running right soon .

7. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Think I may have found the problem. I pulled off the VST tank that holds the electric fuel pump and there was a bunch of sediment and crap in the bottom that was probably plugging up the pickup screen.. Even a little water?? Not sure how, it's gone through two water seperating filters before it get's there??
    Anyway, gonna get that all cleaned out along with the filter on the pressure side of the pump headed for the fuel injection. Also will put a new water seperating filter on. Hopefully that will solve the problem. Probably was getting enough gas to start and handle low rpms but not enough to sustain any rpms. I'll let ya know when I test it.

8. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Got it all back together and all filters cleaned out. Still not running right. RIght now I just disconnected the battery for a bit, maybe that will reset the ecm if it was stuck in some kind of warning or safety mode. We'll see in a few... after that I'll try 8 new plugs($8 each:confused2:) If still won't run right guess it's going to yamaha so they can check it out with their computer.

9. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Mike I'm sure you're like the rest of us and hate to take something to the shop, but on these newer ones I think you're on the right track with letting the dealer put it on the 'puter. Probably like the new cars, without the code reader you're shooting in the dark. Hope they get you fixed up and warranty takes care of all the $$. Good luck!

Branden

10. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I ordered 6 new plugs today(said 8 in last post, had that $8 stuck in my brain) Auto parts store is able to get them from Atlanta by tomorrow for 4.50 each, so that's alot better. If she won't run after that then off to Yamaha it goes. :confused2: Like you said Branden, that's the downfall of these high tech motors, can't diagnose them easy, too many possible problems. I am just trying to rule out the easy ones. :wink:

11. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    Mike, might be a idea to take into shop as you are thinking anyhow. the warranty is running out, so good time to have them go through whole motor. thinking to myself now, but better now then loosing use of boat during some of prime fishing months.
    gary

12. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    It's in the shop right now, talked to them today, they aren't exactly sure what's wrong yet but are leaning towards a bad O2 sensor or problems with 1 or more injectors. They said when they pulled the codes It had a water in fuel code, but it was really old, and an injector code. He said compression and spark where good. So hopefully I'll no more in the next couple days.

13. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Glad to hear she's getting fixed! Even better since I think you said it was still under warranty. A guy would probably have to cough real hard to pay for a couple of injectors if that's what it turns out to be.

14. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    They said if was the injectors they'd send the all off to be rebuilt and flow tested. Costs $50 each x 6 so hope they'll cover that.

15. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Well got my boat back from Yamaha, they got it running but basically just tried everything they could to not have to cover anything under warranty. The only thing they covered was the O2 sensor which was questionable. Otherwise I had to cover the rest, TPS adjustment, computer tests, new filters, combustion chamber cleaning, fuel injection cleaning, them taking it to the river to run a computer test under load and I had new control cables put on, mine old ones where real stiff. Ended up costing me $600 bucks.:confused2: They also said my fuel was suspending alot of water, so I just pump most of my fuel out and gonna refill someplace that don't have ethanol in it and use their ring free additive from now on like they say I need to, $20 bucks for 12 oz.
    Hopefully it's good to go now, but don't know that I'll ever buy another yamaha when I have to replace this one.

16. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Sorry to hear that! I hope it runs better!

17. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    I'd tell that dealer where to stick it. I'd also file a complaint with Yamaha. All that stuff should have been covered under warranty. What good is a $2000. extended warranty if it costs you $600. to get it fixed. Yamaha did me the same way. I'd raise hell if I was you. I might just raise hell for you. What's their number?

18. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Bass pro / Tracker has done the same thing since I bought my boat, The last super tunning cost about three hundred not covered by ext warranty and I had to buy a coil!:eek:oooh:

19. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Not worth the headache, I'll take some blame I guess for being ignorant, I bought the motor used but with very low hours, helk it's a 2002 model and the computer printout actually shows less then my console guage, the console says 92 hours, the computer says 79 hours.
    Anyways, I didn't know about the ring free until I started reading about it after it was running bad. So it may have been carboned up. Somehow I got water in the gas and too much ethanol I guess and suspect that's what threw it into "safe" mode when when the water sensors or injectors got water or debris in them. I also never knew it was missing a spring and lock off of one of the water seperating filters which caused the filter to sit in there crooked. Obviously previous owner lost those pieces cause they were never there. I think my warranty is up in July or Aug, so you can bet now that everything is up to snuff and I am running their additive that it's gonna get "tested hard" between now and then. Hopefully any weak links will break before then. I'll take the blame for this but I ain't paying for anything else.