motor repair

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by pfoster, Mar 7, 2008.

1. pfoster

pfoster New Member

State:
    kansas
    Is anyone or does anyone know a good/inexpensive outboard mechanic in the Lawrence area? I have a 1963 18 horse Johnson and it is not running right. It is starting hard and bogging down with a loss of power.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Phil, why not try fixing it yourself. You don't have to be mechanically inclined to work on outboards. You will need the repair manual for that motor though. I'd recommend before you even take it to a repairman, you run a compression test (so simple a 10 year old could do one). That will let you know if its a simple task or one that requires a professional. Generally, the things that go wrong are fuel lines rottening, rubber diagphram in the fuel pump deteriorating, carbs get dirty, spark plugs are bad, and checks and adjustments get out of tolerence. The manual will let you know how to fix all of these things, and all else failing, when you get in trouble, there is alwasy Bubbakat hanging around wanting to help. You will save yourself a cool two or three hundred dollars by fixing it yourself. As long as you do the simple things I've mentioned above, it will not hurt your motor to attempt to fix it and then if its still beyond your capabilities, take it to the mechanics.

All this advise from a guy who absolutely hates to get oil and grease on his hands, but will do so to work on an outboard. Wouldn't even spit on a automotive engine, just trade them in.lOL

3. pfoster

pfoster New Member

State:
    kansas
    thanks. will the manual tell how to do a compression test? Cause I don't know how. Do you have any recomedations on were to get a manual.

4. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Try looking around online for a manual or try locating johnson motor dealer.If not find a post on boat repair with a reply from Bubbakat and shoot him a PM with your question and he will gladly answer it for ya.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Here is a link you can check out. You can read the entire manual on-line if you desire, and print pages as necessary. I think you can take your motor to several auto parts stores and they will run a compression check for you - free. The Auto Zone and Endurance stores do down here.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/parts.php

Pay attention to the Sierra Manual

6. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    bubbacat is the man shucks,i wish he was my neighbor lol...

7. Charlie365

Charlie365 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I suppose you've probably already been told this, but the primary cause of outboards not running right is old fuel. How old is your gas ? Even if it's last year, dump it and start fresh.

Before you do anything else, drain ALL the fuel out of the tank and the carburetor (carburetor bowl sometimes has a screw in the bottom you can take out.

Start with fresh fuel. You might even add some gas treatment stuff from the auto store. I'd also buy a can of Gumout. When you have the motor started with fresh fuel, spray spurts of Gumout into the carburetor. Try to hit all the little holes, nooks, and crannies with the spray. Helps to have the little straw spray nozzle on the can to concentrate the spray. Gumout doesn't burn very well, so the engine will probably start to die with each little spray, but it will clean up varnish and crud.

After you run it a while and burn all the old gas out, it might straighten right up. I had a 60 HP that didn't want to idle right, and this method worked fine.

It's worth a try and might save you some $$