motor registration

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by jsharper, Nov 18, 2005.

1. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    Hi, I am new to this forum, but wanted to ask if anyone else has had trouble paying TPW their tax on motors. I bought a boat off of e-bay. Seemed like eveything was in order. I registered the boat and trailer, but on the motor, they should work for the guy on the Capitol One ad. I have the bill of sale, the invoice from I-boat, and the shipping and invoice from a fishing camp in Canada. They ran a check and the motor has never been reported stolen or lost. They say I have to have a title or a manufactures certificate of origin. Since I have never been asked for a motor title by a warden, I am about to just say the hell with it. Any thoughts from Texas? Jim

2. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    j, first of all welcome to the BOC. Are you saying that motor has a lien on it or something like that? What was the reason they gave you for not being able to register the motor?

3. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    No lien. good bills of sale. It has just never been titled, since it came out of Canada. They say they will not title in TX without a title or a manufacturer certificate of origin. I did call Canada and they said they would call Johnson and try to get one for me. It just seems silly, especially when it is money in Parks and Wildlifes pocket. If buying a boat, watch out for this. Only 6 states require a title on a boat motor. They ran a serch on the serial numbers. No lien, never reported lost or stolen. Bills of sale from every transaction. I think they just like to make things difficult.

Jim

4. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Jim, I cant help you, I sure wish I could. Here in Arkansas the boat and trailer is the only thing you must register.

5. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    So your going to tell me that if bring my boat to TX i need receipt for the motor or a prier rege. so my boat and motor that i bought used in CA that came with 1 rege for the boat and saying nothing about the motor i'd have a problem. in CA u dont even need a bill of sale for the transfer of title u just sign off the title and ur done. so i dont have any thing other then the title to my boat and not the motor. just plan dumm

6. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I don't know what the regulations are, bringing a boat to TX to use. I know that if you sell it to a TX buyer that it will be problems for him because a motor is supposed to be titled here. Like I said, I have never been asked by a game warden for a motor title, so I may not jump through all the hoops and just take my chances. Problem will be if I sell the boat in TX.

Jim

7. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    We have to title out boards here in Missouri also. Then you have to put a state sticker on the motor. Believe it or not they use to have them for trolling motors as well.

8. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    So far, we don't have to put a sticker on the motor. Just numbers on the boat. Even a small boat must have numbers and registration if it has any type of motor, even electric. I was going to put a trolling motor on my 10' Lam pro kayak until I learned that. Such is life int the great state of TX. Parks and Wildlife has figured out how to get maximum money from us. They have stamps for just about everything. If you buy a fishing license for freshwater, you have to buy a stamp to fish in saltwater and visa versus.

Jim

9. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Not sure this will help ya any, but here is what I had to do.

Get an affidavit of Fact (PWD 314) you can download it off of the TP&W site. On the form you will see a section called : Select Applicable Reasons for Affidavit. I sent this to the old owner and she filled it out for me. She chose: Item Never Titled,Registered or USGC Documented.
    Then Download the Outboard Motor Application (PWD 144). This form is used to request a Texas Title for an outboard motor and to pay taxes on the sell of the motor.

10. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    Thank you. I will do that. I can't figure out why they din not tell me about that at the local Parks and Wildlife office. It looks like it should work.

Jim

11. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    j, t-bone is right, just send that to the saler and that should fix up. I still don't understand why they would not except the bill of sale?

12. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Sounds to me just like it's one more way for a state to get more tax money.
    I read this thread title and drew a blank.
    Glad they don't require it here.

13. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Asking questions on the phone or in person at the TP&W Dept. is like pullin' your own teeth. They would not or could not answer my questions either. I went to the TP&W web site and found the info myself. It took awhile to find it, but it did work.

Good luck there Jim.

14. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I appreciate the help. I am going to go download the form this afternoon and give that a try. I really think that the lady at TP&W just doesn't want to go to the trouble. She says that having a title on the motor is for our protection. Of course we have to renew it every 2 yrs. Nice to be that well protected. We had a little cold front the last couple of days and it is warming up nice now. Maybe the fish will be biting.

Thank sgain

Jim

15. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Hey Jim, What part of Texas are you from? Aquacat and Big Nick are puttin' together a Grathering at Texohma sometime around April, I think. There is a post about this if you are interested. Good luck with the TP&W !

16. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I am from just south of San Angelo. I would really be interested in going to Texoma. I am not real good at fishing. I grew up in the desert. I have lived here a few years and am enjoying the boating and water and am trying to learn to actually catch fish. This forum is a big help. I will look up the post on the trip this pm and try to make it, don't know with wife, kids, and work, but I am very interested. I know some guys here that fish Choke or Towaka in the spring and catch lots of fish.

Jim

17. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Jim, Any time you can get up to Dallas for a weekend of fishin' , com'on ! I know just enough to catch a few. I'm a Bass Fisherman that has converted to Cattin'. My Fishin' Buddy taught me to Catfish after I stoped fishing for awhile. I enjoy it very much. We fish from the bank, however, I'm fixin' up a jon boat to go out a lil deeper. May I suggest you try some Danny King's Punch Bait. This stuff works real good. You can find alot about this bait on here. Just do a search on Danny King. We have almost stoped using shad since finding this bait. Since it's cooling off now, the cats should really turn on.

So you grew up in the desert.... Any chance you rode Dirt Bikes out there? My son and I have retired from Dirtbike Racing. Too many broken bones !

18. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Here is an option that I "heard" about.
    Buy an old junk motor with a clean title.Might be able to pick one up for less than 50$.Register it.Put the sticker on your other motor.Not exactly kosher,but an option if you can't get an original title.

19. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    Thanks for the invite,T-Bone. I am going to set a few lines this afternoon. I have been watching your boat project. Very nice. I have a 16" flatbotton that I got off of e-bay. I really like it, this is the one with the motor title problem. I am going to do a few thing to it and watch the boat posts for ideas. I don't want to mess up.
    I didn't dirtbike, mostly hunted, now I am fishing, I am not hunting much,although, I may get a couple of does for meat. I have been thinking about trying to do a little duck hunting, don't know.
    I appreciate all the help this forum offers. Lots of good info on boats and fishing.
    Oh, what do the swordsman, archer, etc, by the names designate?
    Thanks all,
    Jim

20. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Jim, did'ja catch any? Thanks for the kind words about my jon boat. I got mine off of e-bay also. If I can help ya any on yours just let me know. What did'ja hunt out there in the desert, snakes ? Anyway, below will give ya the answer to your question. Also, you might try out using the search button or FAQ button on top of each page. I have learned alot by just lookin' around. Happy Thanksgiving to ya !

BOC RANK

BOC rank goes by the number of posts you have. For every certain number of post you get a a rank name and with most an icon. The below is the order in which the ranks go:

Initiate 0

Apprentice 10
    Squire 50 [​IMG]
    Swordsman 150 [​IMG]
    Archer 300 [​IMG]
    Master Archer 400 [​IMG]
    Warrior 500 [​IMG]
    Master Warrior 600 [​IMG]

***The name icon of the BOC and Assitant Staff will always stay the same, BOC STAFF or Assitant Staff

Written by: Josh Allison

© Paul Louderback