Motor question

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Dav1, May 7, 2006.

1. Dav1

Dav1 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I went out yesterday to fish a tournament and much to my surprise my motor had only about a quarter power. The only thing different is i had a to replace the lower unit on the motor. Before this it ran just find. We tried new spark plugs and new gas all wires were tight. What could be the problem with this motor?

David

2. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Dave we will need a little more information. What horse motor? What kind of motor? A shot in the dark would be to check and see if you have good spark to your plug(s). I know you said it was running but at half normal. If you have good spark the next thing I would check is gas flow to the carb(s) cylinder(s). Did you try choking the engine when you were wide open? Time for someone else. Sorry I couldn't be more help.:crazy:
    Don

3. Dav1

Dav1 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Don, we tried just about everything we could think of new plugs new gas checked wires and tightened loose ones. The motor is a 24 horse Johnson about a 1985 model. It acted like it wasn't getting gas or enough air but none of the adjustments we did improved it. The last time i had it out it ran fine. Hope that this helps.

David

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Do a visual check to see that everything is operating correctly before trying to start it again.

Make sure your throttle operation is opening the carb fully and your timer base is advancing.

5. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I'm not an expert at all on motors but mind done the same thing about two years ago. One trip out is was running fine, the next trip, about 1/4 throttle. If I advanced beyone 1/4 throttle it just kept bogging down. In my case, it was time for a carb rebuild. When I got home, I pulled the carb, disassembled and it was bad dirty. Cleaned everything with carb cleaner and compressed air. Bought a new rebuild kit and with the help of BobPaul mine was running like new again in no time. Oh, I will say this, every little thing in that kit is important. I know from experience.:embarassed: