Motor question - sedintary startup

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by KansasKatter, Nov 28, 2007.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    OK, I don't know how to spell sedintary, but my motor has been sitting all summer while I built the house, has not been started since early May, with a full tank of fuel still hooked to it. It is a 25hp tiller, pull start.

Question is, do I need to do anything special before firing it up? Should I get new fuel first, and what about the fuel in the hose? I sure hate to throw out a full tank of gas, as much as gas is now. I did mix sea-foam with the gas/oil that is in the tank, but do not think I put stabil in that time, bacause I was out, and did not expect it to have to sit all summer.

Thanks everyone!

2. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Id start out with the sniff test..
    Bad fule has a distenctive smell generally.
    I suspect it will be fine as Sea Foam does a pretty fair job .
    Next I would forsure Purge the rubber fule line and bulb . Just prop open the ball check in connector where it connects to the engine and squeeze away some potential troubles.

The "Boss" will be along shortly to give ya the real poop on the deal ,, Just ringing in with what I would try.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Ron the sniff test doesn't work to well with todays fuel. Man at the price of todays fuel that is a toughy, But to be on the real safe side and you know the aggravation and the cost of a down outboard , I would opt on useing the fuel in my lawn mower or tractor But if you have a fairley new truck or car I would not use it in it.
    I would drain the fuel lines and drain the carbs and install new fuel.
    I feel the pain because I just took 12 gals out of my toon tank but I did put it in the tractor.

4. shane12970

shane12970 New Member

State:
    , North Carolin
    this is question not answer..if you put stabil in it would that make the fuel be alright over summer

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I'll say this Shane. It will help it but not guarantee it to be good. I feel more at ease about using fuel that has been treated.

6. shane12970

shane12970 New Member

State:
    , North Carolin
    so bubba . you would recommend stabil... i think i have bout half tank left in my boat it a 12 gal tank. i put a whole bottle (16oz) in it .i ran motor on muffs for bout 30 min. them took fuel line loose from motor and ran motor til it quit. i put the motor in the down pos and under my shed. anything else i need to do. this is my first boat so if im missing anything let me know. btw i live in alabama so it dont get real cold here ..thanks ahead..

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Shane the only thing I see here that you did wrong is to run it until the carbs were dry. That is a no no. What happens is one carb runs dry before the other and that cylinder is receiving damage from a lean condition.

I know some will say well I have only one carb and this is a misconception if you have 2 cylinders because one will quit receiving fuel mix before the other one does. Then you are right back to square one a lean condition.,

8. shane12970

shane12970 New Member

State:
    , North Carolin
    ok so do i need to hook fuel back up and restart and run again...

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    naw just leave it like it is. If you want to drain a carb if it has the lower drain screw do it that way or if the fuel line enters the bottom of the carb take it off but never run one dry with the motor running.

10. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I want to be sure I understand: Does your advice also apply if the motor is a single cylinder model or does that only apply with multiple cylinders?

Thanks.

Bill

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Bill I wouldn't be to concerened about a single cylinder motor as you have only one carb to operate it.