Motor problems..

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by fat_fish55, Mar 25, 2007.

1. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    alright i have a couple of old evinrudes i need help with
    both are early 1960s
    one is a 40 hp electric start, other is 10 hp pull start
    and yes i was an idiot and left them outside all winter without winterizing
    both would start last fall first crank

the 10 horse will not do anything at all when i pull the cord. didnt run it since late october then i ran it in late december 1 time to duck hunt, it was rought getting it to start. i let the fuel run out and let it sit until now.

the 40 horse i hadnt ran since october and did not let it drain out. when i first tried it it fired up but ran rough. i got new fuel and now it wont do anything either..

is there anything i should look for before taking them in or any suggestions at all?? could it be with me pumping the gas line to tight or anything like that?
    i know they are old and that doesnt help but ran very nicely last year. thanks

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Have you tried a new set of plugs. Those old dogs are solid old motors but those plugs sometimes don't want to last out in the wet cold winter. Those motors take a good strong spark to start.

Also don't use nothing but champion plugs in those old motors. Those years were built around the champion plug.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Along with what Bubba said, chances are you'll need a carb rebuild on both engines.

4. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well i tested for sparks and there were but im going to get new spark plugs and fully charge the battery just to be sure
    how much might a carb rebuild set me back?

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If you do them yopur self you will proably have about 25 bucks in each carb

6. tfabry

tfabry New Member

State:
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    Hey I ve got a 1969 Johnson 33 hp electric start. Starts up and runs fine for the little bit I had it running. Mine needs a lower unit - cracked under the impeller. We are going to trade her in for a new one so the kids have a reilable new motor on the boat. Let me know if your interested before I trade it in. From what I found out mid 60's to late 60's alot of the parts are interchangable. If I could have found a good used lower I might have just snachted that up. The model number is 33el 69a (electric start long shaft) serial number is j3124857. Oh it comes with a new water pump kit (installed - lol) We will be picking a new motor up in the next few days.

7. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    is rebuilding the carb something somebody without experience with motors could do or should i leave it to a shop?

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    The hardest part about rebuilding a carb for an outboard is getting up the nerve to do it your self.

9. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    from looking around for tips which i havnt realy found any actual inctructions, iv gathered that rebuilding is basically cleaning
    am i right there?

10. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    KC the rebuilding is a lot of cleaning and then setting the floats and jets. If your lucky the the motors aren't old enough to have a high speed setting. It will have fixed jets. If not then I have instructions for that to.
    I noticed that you have two with suspect carbs. Well sir post me a model number of the first one you want to do and only do one at a time and I will get you the instructions.

11. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    The model number for the 40 horse electric start is 35531 L

12. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    can anybody help with the carb rebuild?

13. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I have never done an outboard carb but I rebuilt my edelbrock on my truck. I was nervous about doing it but what I done is laid out all of the new parts and changed each individual part one at a time so I would't get them mixed up. I had know idea how easy rebuilding a carb is.

14. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    KC. log on to this thread site and look through the list of thread titles posted and see if you can find a thread about carb cleaning. Start at the top and work your way down.

15. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    If you find it, go through all the bs in it and open any links you see.

I've been trying to get the mods to post it, but it can't seem to get done.

16. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well he is a little more info, before i went ahead with ordering the carb kit i had someone who knows a little about it come over and check it out
    we could not get the bulp on the fuel hose to the gas tank to stay pressurized. he told me all i might need is a new hose. he could get it to fire by spraying starting fluid in the cylanders or into the carb. we also got it to fire by squirting gas into the air intake thing on the carb.
    i bought the new fuel hose and the bulb still wont stay pressurized
    does this still sound like a bad carb or something before the carb thats not getting the gas there?

17. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Fuel is being restricted some where from getting to those carbs. I myself would start at the tank with the pick up tube in the tank and work my way all the way to the carb and see if I had a line collapsing or with a hole in it.

If no help came from that then I would tear the carb down and rebuild it.

If you are looking for an easy way from doing this I think you may have stumble up on it. If you keep letting your friend spray that starting fluid in it to see if it will run it will end your having a motor that will run for a few seconds let alone running at all.

Take you a glass jar and put some outboard oil on it and then spray starting fluid on the oil and see what happens. Get back to me and let me know what happened to the oil when you sprayed starting fluid on it.

18. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well i dont have any myself or i would have done what you said just to see
    he fired it that way 2 times to see what would happen and then would not use it anymore
    im guessing it eats the oil away?