Motor problem

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Bubbakat, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Sounds like a carb problem. Try choking it next time and see if it will pick up or squeeze the primer bulb. Its sounds like its starving for fuel.
    How long did it set up before you got it?

2. stoney

stoney New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    my boat did the samething,i tried everything i could think of but could'nt figure it out.i got thinking about it and the only thing i did in the last 6months was change the lower unit leaving the prop that came with the lower unit on it,,,well i went back and put my old one on and it ran great...i couldnt beleive the difference just a couple of numbers in the pitch made..so just check and see when it was replaced if it has the right pitch on the prop...

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It may simply be one or two small pieces of trash in the carbs. It gets sucked up, starving the motor... then it moves, allowing the flow of fuel and the motor runs like a raped ape. I do believe the first thing I would do is rebuild those carbs according to the instructions Bubbacat and Paul has posted in their motor section. Seems that if it was the fuel pump, it would do it all the time. Wrong pitch prop would be a steady speed all the time. Betcha it is in the carbs. If the fuel line had deteriorated, it is probably the culprit, and you will find a little piece of hose in the carb bowl. But, soak those puppies overnight and get all the nooks and crannies cleaned out.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Lawerence is right on the nose with his suggestion. Those needles will form a ring around them after setting in the seats for that long without useing them and then they have to be changed out.

I would soak them and then rebuild them or it as the case may be. You can get the kits from NAPA auto parts store or an O rileys parts store. just post the model number and I'll look up the kit number you need and all you have to do is tell the counter person what number you want.

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    You say it was a fresh tank of gas and sta-bil was added.

Was it added to a cleaned out gas tank?

6. kickersdad

kickersdad New Member

It's the carbs.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I'll PM you a place to get the parts or you can get them at a napa parts store or ORileys parts house.

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Hans, if you have the ability to post on these threads, you have the intelligence to rebuild a carb. We are not talking a formaula pro racing car here. Take some photos of your carb linkage before removing the carb. Just dissassemble the carb and lay the pieces out in a straight line as you remove them. When you have it all apart, take some photo's with your camera. Read the instructions, let the parts soak overnight, read the instructions again and then clean and dry the parts. Q-tips work fairly decent. LOL. When ready to reassemble the carbs, read the instructions again, look at the photo, and assemble them in reverse order. Piece of cake.

9. keithcatfish

keithcatfish New Member

State:
    Maryville, TN
    Its an obstruction somewhere in the fuel system. Carbs are always suspect but check for junk in all the fuel lines and fuel pump all the way from the tank to the engine.

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Hans, your most recent problem is your stater solenoid, or the starter itself. Look on the side/top of the starter. There should be a heavy lead (or wire) there. Hook some battery cables up, ground the negative terminal to the outboard. Hook the positive cable to the battery and just touch it to the heavy lead. If your starter engages, it should be the solenoid. If it still whirrs, its the starter. Here in OK you can get a starter rebuilt for about $50.00. The solenoid itself is not much... around 25 - 35 dollars. Disconnect the battery before you remove the starter or solenoid. LOL Can save you some grey hairs.

If you rebuild the fuel pump... make dang sure you look at it in stages. Camera probably will help also. Those little burgers are, to me, harder than the carbs. Take pictures and make your self notes, no matter how simple it looks. That can save you some grey hairs also. LOL

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If you say it turns and engages after manuely moving the bendix gear on the starter shaft up then run it up and clean the shaft with alchol and then lube it lightly. Then run it down and do the same with the top of the shaft.

If it turns with the gear up then its just dirty and needs cleaning and lubing.

12. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
  13. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Replace the fuel line from the tank to the engine, bulb and hook up included.

If the bulb gets sucked flat it's because your fuel pump is doing it's job, but there's a restriction some where. It could even be in the fuel tank.

14. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Good advice Bob, down here with the Sun, I replace all my exterior hoses & the Bulb EVERY year

15. rudetech1

rudetech1 New Member

State:
    Texas
    If you rebuild the carbs, replace ALL the fuel hoses from the tank and on the engine! They are deteriorating, little particles will be in the freshly rebuilt carbs if you don't do this, then it's a do-over! The carb kits are # 396701, you'll need three. I would rebuild/replce the fuel pump also, the diaphram is week, probably will go out when you start to use it. The rebuild kit # is 393103. I find it easier to replace the fuel pump. Don't keep running it while it's messed up, you will take out a cylinder or two! If you have a metal tank, toss it and get a plastic one. It will condensate less and no rust to clog the fuel system. If you run ethanol in it, it will clean it, then totally block the fuel sytem( this is true of any fuel tank that has sit for a long time). A good filter will catch the broken up debris. Get a good service manual to help you thru the rebuild, or have some one do it.:wink:

16. BigB

BigB New Member

State:
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    have you checked the compression on the cylinders?

17. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    I think i have an idea of what it might be. we had this problem on a 50hp Force motor. I cleaned the carb three times. changed the fule lines and gas tank. it would run fine out of the water but the day we took it out we went to run it and it started fine. we took off and it ran wide open for about a minute and the shut down to a little more than an idle. so we drove back to the dock and took the cover off. checked the carb and everything was clean. i would push down the gear shift throttle and it would only go 1/4 speed. i then manually pushed down the throttle on the engine and it would go wide open. so i put it back in the water and tried it manually and it would run fine. it turns out that there was a part on the left side of the moter that regulates the throttle and i cant remember what it is called for the life of me. there are 2 throttle wire guides and one of them was messed up. I took it to the repair shop and they fixed it for 20 bucks for parts and all. It sounds lik you have a similar problem. i would take the cover off of the motor and see what it does when you manually engage the throttle. I really dont think that it is a cylinder problem but more the outside hardware of the carb. After sitting up for a long time it tends to go bad. Also you might want to make sure that the water pumps are doing what they should be doing if it has sat up for that long. they tend to go bad after a year or 2 of sitting up.

18. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas

How long did it take him to change out that impeller? Did he change out the gaskets also? i have been reading that you have to drain the lower unit and lower it off the motor.

19. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You don't have to drain the lower unit oil and I can change one in about 30 min but most on the first one it takes about an hour to hour and a half to do.