Motor problem

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by catpound, Aug 13, 2006.

1. catpound

catpound New Member

State:
    Illinois
    just got a boat and it has a early 70's johnson 9.5 hp. ran good for a couple of days but recently when giving it gas seems like something is slipping at times, kind of like a transmission in car. lower unit maybe? If it gets worse is it worth fixing?

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Are you saying that the RPM's will come up but the boat slows down in forward movement. Or is it jumping out of gear.
    Give me a little more info here.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Could be the rubber hub inside your prop has deteriated or separated. Had a 75 HP do that once. Run like a son-of-a-gun, but you could walk faster. I'd definetley check the prop first.

4. catpound

catpound New Member

State:
    Illinois
    yes the RPM's go up but it feels like it completly drops out of forward and is in neutrul. I need help cause i'm a poor college kid but still not willing to give up on my boat. thanks for the help fella's

5. catpound

catpound New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Is it going to hurt the motor any more if I take it back out or should i wait untill i have it checked out?

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Get your prop rehubbed. That's all it is. Like the other guys would tell you. Or get another prop.

7. catpound

catpound New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks fella's, anyone know what something like this would cost for an old 70's johnson motor?

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    In this area, and depending upon which shop you go to, it would run between $40.00 to $75.00 to get the prop fixed. You may find one the same size on ebay cheaper - don't forget to check the handling and shipping if you look at ebay.