Motor position on transom

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by cook, Mar 28, 2006.

1. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    17 foot fiberglass semi-vee,20 hp johnson hand tiller.

New to me boat,only had it out 3-4 times last year.

I would like to move the motor over farther to the right side of the transom.This will give me 3 feet of cleaar space to fish off the back instead of 1.5 feet on both sides of the motor.
    I expect to have it try to torque to the left,but shouldn't be a major problem.

I rarely run more than 1 or 2 miles,usually 1/2 throttle or less.Plan to do some jugging also.

Anyone try this,or heard about it.Anything to watch out for,any comments?

2. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    You will probably have issues with the boat tracking or "pulling". Try it and go very slow at first.

3. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    well besides the tracking isues you will have it will also wake the one saide very heavy and could be a possible issue if you went over to that side of the boat. my opinion i wouldnt do it.

4. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Mutt,not sure about the wake,should be same off the bow,and any wake from the motor would be behind me.You both are right on the tracking issue,that is something I anticipated.

A hard left turn at full throttle in an emergency situation might present a problem,but this will be used for puttering around,back trolling,and from an anchored position.

I see the walleye guys do it all the time.

5. 1stpalindrone

1stpalindrone New Member

State:
    Denton, Texas
    I had a 12' flatbottom as a kid with a 12hp on it. The transom was rotten in places so I did just what your talking about and moved the engine over about 8". Worked just fine, tracking didnt bother me after planeing out but the right hand turn made the back corner take on h20. Didnt capsize her but was out in the middle with about 6" of h20 throughout the boat. Made the ride3 back to the dock VERY slow. I'd be carefull.. just MO
    Lucas

6. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Did you move it 8" to the right or left?

7. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I would never run it full bore, can be dangerous if you hit wakes from other boats

8. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I am thinking that a 20hp motor on a 17 foot, semi-vee fiberglass boat is not going to make alot of differance (depending on the beam). Thats a small motor for that size boat. I would move it opposite (left)of the prop rotation, and load your gear to balance out the boat. I had a similar situation, because of too short throttle cables and I didnt have any problems at all! Still, anytime you do something different then the design, proceed with caution and common sense!

9. 1stpalindrone

1stpalindrone New Member

State:
    Denton, Texas
    Cook-
    Standing at the back of the boat I moved the engine about 8" to the right, making that corner want to "dip" while in a right hand turn. I couldve kept it out but I was a kid at full throttle not in a turn for the need but for the fun so I was probably cutting alittle harder than needed... It was a while back so I don't exactly remember the circumstances. I figure if it's a putter than you'd have no problems although there is that chance you might want to open her up etc, and would be chancing it.
    Lucas

10. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Thanks for all the replies.Like I said,1/2 throttle or less,mainly puttering about.

Not an engineer type,so not sure which side would "dig" in,hope not to find out:rolleyes:

Will try it out and see what happens,safety will be #1