motor not idling

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by jasonminitruck, Jan 31, 2009.

1. jasonminitruck

jasonminitruck New Member

State:
    tennessee
    My boat wont start when it is cold, but if you manually choke it it will start fine what could be causing this?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It's helpful to know if you have an I/O or an outboard, and the motor manufacturer. Off my head, I would just think the fuel is disappearing from the carb bowl until you apply the manual choke. But that is just a real wild a.. guess.

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    It's a 32 year old 2 stroke:wink: Could be several things, but I've always had to choke mine ('80 75hp 'rude) to start it when it's cold, that's why the choke is there. And then let it warm up awhile, even after I rebuilt the powerhead and carbs. Could be a lot of things (dirty carbs, fuel line leaks, etc) but if it runs and starts fine once it warms up I'd chalk it up to just being cold. I've sometimes thought that OMC stands for "Operator Must Cuss" when I'm starting mine on cold mornings:smile2:

4. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    It's a 32 year old 2 stroke:wink: Could be several things, but I've always had to choke mine ('80 75hp 'rude) to start it when it's cold, that's why the choke is there. And then let it warm up awhile, even after I rebuilt the powerhead and carbs. Could be a lot of things (dirty carbs, fuel line leaks, etc) but if it runs and starts fine once it warms up I'd chalk it up to just being cold. I've sometimes thought that OMC stands for "Operator Must Cuss" when I'm starting mine on cold mornings:smile2:

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC

7. larry d. grady

larry d. grady Member

State:
    north caro
    jason ,if im reading your post correctly,you are saying your electric choke isn't working.if that is the case,take your motor cover off and check to see if the linkage has come apart,and some times you have to lubricate the small hole that the choke cylinder goes up and down in,another problem may be the toggle switch that opperates the choke ,hope this helps. larry d. grady

8. jasonminitruck

State:
    tennessee
    I have to take the cover off, and work the choke to get it to start. I've done some studying, and it appears to be missing the rod that runs from the elitric choke selenoid to the carb. Does anyone know where I could find a diagram of the carbs.

9. larry d. grady

larry d. grady Member

State:
    north caro
    hi jason, what kind of out board do you have and what house power.i have a huge assortment of parts from top to bottom,especially johnson/evinrude,and mercury.if i have the parts i would be glad to ship them to you.if you can take a upclose picture and email it to me that would help if you don't know the year or model . ldgrady@yahoo.com

10. jasonminitruck

State:
    tennessee
    its a 1977 evinrude 55 horsepower 2stroke