Motor not getting power?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by DH84, Aug 8, 2008.

1. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    well, ive got electrical issues... ive got a 02' 90hp yamaha, the problem is that when i turn my ignition i get nothing, trim doesnt work either. I checked my battery and it was very low (it wouldnt even move my fuel gauge) so i pulled it out and put in another battery i knew was good, turned the key and my fuel gauge worked fine, my depth finder worked, and my VHF (all these are rigged to my cranking battery by seperate wires to a switch panel, so thier good, also indicating the battery is good) however im still getting nothing with my trim and my ignition.. i checked the voltage on my wires to the motor and ive got power there (about 6" down the wire from my battery) so somewhere b/t where those wires run into the motor and back out into my ignition ive got an issue..

is there a main fuse in the motor housing i should check? i found a 20A fuse on a smaller positive wire in the motor housing and it was fine.

Im stumped and dont want to take it for a $200 labor job to find something simple i missed... it ran fine last time i was out, just been sitting up in the yard.. i dont know why the battery was dead either.. any ideas on what i could check?

2. Leftenant

Leftenant New Member

State:
    NC
    The problem may be in your throttle area since your power trim and your motor is not working. If something shorted out in there, the motor would not show that it is in neutral (therefor it won't start), and the power trim would not work either.

David

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    There are 2 fuses under that hood.

4. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    so theres 2 fuses under that throttle cap? i pulled it off and pulled the side plate off and all i saw were mechanical throttle parts, no wires.

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    UNDER THE HOOD!

When the trim doesn't work, you've blown an engine fuse. If the trim is in good working order. Now you need to find out what blew the fuse.

6. capt295

capt295 New Member

State:
    Newark ,Texas
    I had a similiar problem, all accessories worked but no trim, and engine wouldnt crank, i started checking all ground wires and found the battery ground wire were it connected to a ground terminal board was loose. tightned it down and no more problems. the connection was good enough to carry the amps for small accessories but not good enough to carry the large amps neccessary for trim and cranking. hope this helps.

7. Leftenant

Leftenant New Member

State:
    NC
    Hey DH84, did you get your motor going? If you did, what was the problem?

David