Motor losing power

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by tiny b, Mar 16, 2009.

1. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    I have a 2001 40hp yahama that seems to rev up all right but seems to surge slightly and seems to be losing power the longer you go. I emptied the gas and mixed a new tank and added seafoam. Took it out for a little spin today for about a mile and couldn't tell any change. I know I probably need to run longer but did not have time. It is pumping water good but seems to be a little warm above the water level. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Have you tried new plugs and do a compression test and check the fuel lines from the pick up in the tank all the way to the carbs for leaks.

3. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    I have a 2001 25hp mercury on a 16 ft bass tracker and had the same problem last year. I drained the gas tank and put new gas in along with a new spark plug. We also added a seperate fuel filter to the line. All of this and still had some problems running. It started fine but could full throttle and it would sputter and cut out a little. We ended up taking the carb off and cleaning it with a can of carb cleaner. Make sure the needle or ball inside gets cleaned also. It doesnt take much to clogg it up. We got it running and had no more problems rest of the season. I got my boat water ready today and took it out. It ran great. Another tip is after you are done fishing, while on the trailer and in the water unplug the fuel line to the motor and run out all the gas. This will help you so the gas doesnt set and starts shalicking the carb. You shold be able to do this your self and save you a few hundred dollars by not taking it to the marina. Hope this helps! let me know.:wink: