Motor locked up

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by CountryHart, Sep 2, 2008.

1. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Mr. Willard, yesterday i was running up the river and my motor locked up on me. I had the proper oil mix and don't have a clue yet. The water pump has been working fine, but it may have went out and just got hot and seized. Any suggestions will be appreciated. It's an older 75 johnson sprint.

2. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    A buddy of mine just got a free outboard cause it was "locked up".

Turns out a small rock got between the prop and lower unit housing.
    He pryed the rock out and she purrs like a kitten.
    Just something you may want to take a look at. Ya just never know.

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I had to work today and haven't looked at it yet. Cryin shame, i've fished and hunted many a day with Ole' Whitie. Lookin for a 18 foot alum. hull to put my 150 yammi on now, i'll be back in action soon i hope.

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Hope you figure it out soon. Hate bad news. Just got mine runnin again after a week of down time. Grrrrrr!

5. CATFISHING1

CATFISHING1 New Member

State:
    MO.
    well i quess we need to get her back to the lake, tow her out to the middle and sink her to the bottom. R.I.P WHITIE :eek:oooh::sad2::cool2:

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    John, sorry to hear that. Hope the fix turns out to be like my favorite kind of date used to be - cheap and easy:big_smile:

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    John is she locked totaly up and have you taken the lower unit off to see if it may be the lower unit seized or have you looked inside the spark plug hole to see any damage to the piston.

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Whats the model number on that engine.

9. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'll get you the model # tomorrow Bubba, it's pouring rain rite now. Thanks for your input.

10. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    John, Willard will get you steered in the right direction just wanted to jump in and say, sorry for the bad luck.

11. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    sorry for the bad luck brother that stinks

12. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Sorry to hear that John. Had one lock up on me going across lake rathbun once. Middle of the lake, acted like I hit a wall when it did, about threw us out of the boat. It was the lower unit on mine that went. Hope its a easier fix for you.

13. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I pulled the spark plugs to day and it spun over like a new one. I'm almost leaning toward a blown head gasket and that it hydraulic locked. My pickup blew an intake gasket last year and it locked it up. The engine sounds fine running, but i didn't run it but a short period of time. Need to put muffs on it and see if it does it again i guess. All the plugs looked the same and if it is a gasket, it blew and locked it instantly.

14. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    John hate to hear you are having motor problems too. Maybe you and Brandon can mix and match parts:wink::smile2:. Just kidding. Hope it is as easy as a head gasket. Good luck brother.

Tom

15. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sorry to hear about the motor problems John. Sure hope it's a easy fix.

16. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    It sounds like it overheated and seized up, they'll do that sometimes when they get hot, and once they cool off they'll start right up again, I'd check out the cooling system, probably water pump. Especially if you make a habit of running the motor without water hooked up, it doesnt take much to tear up that rubber impellar if the motor is ran without water hooked up, somtimes just a few seconds, especially if the motor is revved up.