motor just died??

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by e'villeman, Jan 12, 2008.

1. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    went out on the ohio and done some fishing ( no they werent biting at all) so we decided to pack it in started boat and noticed alot of blue/white smoke, shrugged it off and messed around a bit ~ went up a creek and had it about 2/3 throttle and all the sudden the motor just kinda slows down and die's , not a shit down like the key turned off but kinda gradual ~ put it back in nuetral and turned the key and starter jumped to the flywheel and just stuck there ~ i took a screw driver and turned the flywheel back to release the bendix wiggled it back and forth a bit till it stopped and tried it again it turned and suddently stopped again ( i had noticed this last start up the battery seems kinda low ~ slow turn over) ~ so i'm asking if i charge the battery ya' think it'll work or is it bounded-up somehow? it ran fine right before it quit... any and all help would be appreciated

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Pull the plugs and see if there is any sign of water being on them or has been on them. If there has they will be real clean like they were steamed cleaned.

You sound like you had a hydro lock. That is where you loose a seal on a head gasket and it lets water into the cylinder that shuts it down. By it shutting down slow is an indication that it was running out of fuel or water was not letting the fuel burn. The white smoke is an indicator of this also.

3. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    Thanks BubbaKat ~ was so afraid you were going to say "you locked it up!" a breaken head gasket i can handle

4. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    you check it out yet roger?

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    This is off key, but my pickup blew a intake gasket and water locked tighter than a drum.

6. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    hrmm pulled the head off and found metal shaving inside...grrr.. its going to have to wait till sometime spring for me :angry:

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That don't sound good at all. Look at it and see how much damage is done to the wall of the cylinder.

8. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    yup definate scarring of cylinder walls../sigh. i suppose that cant be repaired but have to buy a new block?? if so where do you find one of those?:eek:oooh:

9. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    GOOD LUCK HOPE IT WORKS OUT

10. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    well i might need it, trying to locate a block seems near impossible atm, but still looking

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If it just one cylinder down then take it to a good machine shop and have it bored and order a over size piston to go back in it or have it sleeved back to the orignal size.

12. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    luck?!?! i hope i dont have to depend on luck! That Lady seems to hate me sunfin' feirce!:smile2:

13. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    WHAT KIND OF MOTOR DO YOU HAVE