Motor Jerking

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by RiverKing, Apr 21, 2008.

1. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    When I put my Johnson 110 VRO V-4 in gear, it makes a quick jerk once, and then its fine for the rest of the time..Until I put it in nuetral, and put it back in gear, then it does it again... once, then its fine, its only when i first it in gear at an idle speed.....Any ideas what this could be?

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Matt are you popping that thing into gear or slowley easing it into gear.

3. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Bubba, i just slowly put it into gear, and its doing it..Thats whats got me stumped...Could it be the clutch dog is wearing out on the engine?

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    It could be the clutch dog getting worn but you need to snap that thing into gear with a quick snap to prevent premeture wear on those gears.

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya sounds like a slip. my boat (because im stupid lol) had to be fixed a few years back. i was easing it into gear. sounded like a grind then clunk it would engage. that easing was wearing off the corners of clutch. easing it into gear tears it up. snap it in fast and then go.

bobpaul diagnosed it when after i had lost 2 props. the motor would band every now and then. sounded like fuel air prob at first. but i had ruined my clutch and forward gear. i replaced them and its fine. your slipping when ya get that jerk. it may be to late but remember. faster ya pop in gear the better.

mine at speed was jerking every 10-20 seconds and that force was shearing my cotterpin and when i would stop the water pressure was pushing the prop right off.