Motor is not peeing water

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by coonskinner88, Jul 23, 2006.

1. coonskinner88

coonskinner88 New Member

State:
    VA
    i got a evinrude 25 on my boat and the other ngiht tried to go fishin and ran into some real shallo0w water and tried to make it across but ended up walkin the boat a good ways and then found out it was to shallow to even getinto the river so i had to walk it alllll the way back
    but not my motor isnt pumpin any waterthrew it and it aint peein?
    where should i start to figure out the problem?

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Pull the lower unit and put the hose on the intake pipe and fluse it out good. If it has T-Stat remove it so you can flush it out. Then reinstall it with new gasket. If you run that motor long while it has the mud and silt in it it will eat the impeller and base plate up. I would go ahead and replace the impeller and if the base plate has any wear grooves in it I would replace the whole pump.

3. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Where the water is suppose to come out, there is a plastic fitting connected to a hose. Mine has gotten plugged at the elbow of the fitting. Remove the cowling. Take the fitting off, get some small light wire, and work the clog out. Blow thru it, and run water thru it to flush, then reinstall. Sometimes you can just run the wire up the hole, and work it around without having to take the cowling off. Try this first. You will quickly be able to determine if that is the source of your clog. Then go to the advice from the previous post. When you think there is a chance of this when taking out at a shallow place, it's a good idea to flush the motor as soon as possible at home before sand/mud has a chance to get hard. Don't start, and run more than a minute or so at a time if it is not putting out water. You can damage your motor quickly due to over heating. I use a hose motor flusher after each trip just to make sure. Just a simple quick check that sometimes saves doing more than you have to. Hope this helps, good fishin', Jack.

4. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    What year motor is it? Generally, motors don't run all the water for the cooling past the telltale. If the motor is spitting water out of the backside of the lower unit at the exhaust ports, then it's being cooled. You may just need to run some weedeater line into the telltale or even shoot a small burst of air into it to clear it out.

5. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    My pee tube is full of mud dobbers. My lights are not working, my trim gage stopped working. One trailor light is out. I need some boat work.

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Top, you need to move that boat more often.

7. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Top, There is a positive in all that. You have clearly identified your problems. Maybe. Good luck, and fishin', Jack.

8. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I do need to use my boat more. I am not able to do much. I need to get me a truck. Heck I do not have a way to pull the boat.

9. coonskinner88

coonskinner88 New Member

State:
    VA
    iv checked the lil plastic piece where the water is uppose to come out and it had some stuff in it but i cleaned it out and traces the hose back to the other side
    i think its clogged somewhere in the engine
    i dont know much about boat engine can anyone describe how to go about getting to the base plate and impeller and checking it and flushign it and possibly gettin another impeller and base plate

10. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Sorry to hear that Top. I am sorry to say I am headed in the same general direction. Can't do half, what I used to anymore. Take care, Jack.

11. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Berry, I have never had cause to go that far with any of mine. I do know a place to get an instructional CD that could help you out for about $ 20.00. Check out this site for more info. ....... smalloutboardmotors.com The place id AFA Marine. Good folks. Jack.

12. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    what Year Is Your Motor???

13. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    See what happens when too many get involved.

This ain't a chatt room.

Top never should've posted his problem here and I know I never should've answered it.

Coonskinner has a problem and if you can't relate to that, it would be very helpful if ya'll would start a BS thread somewhere else.

Thanks Matt for asking a question that relates.

Coonskinner, if you still want help, post your model number of the engine.

The rest of you, shut up and listen, you might learn something.:choler:

14. heeler

heeler New Member

State:
    missouri
    If I took the plastic peice on the lid off,and just run the hose through.[I have enough that it will stay out]Will it hurt anything.thank you mike

15. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Guys by telling him to put air or water back thru that piss tube then you have caused him to pack what ever he had inside that motor inside the head.
    That is why I sugested the point of removing the lower unit and flushing from the bottom side. If you have a T-stat it is always better to remove it also.

When You run a motor thru mud and silt like he described then there are no short cuts.

Oh well I'll set back and watch this one.:cool2:

16. coonskinner88

coonskinner88 New Member

State:
    VA
    thanks bobpaul....
    bubbacat....so ur sayin take the whole bottom end off the engine? like where the propeller is?
    sorry if i sound illeterate but i just wanna know wat to do and how to do it right before i go to takin stuff appart
    wat is a t stat?
    and as far as the year model im not sure but its not THAT old but its not new.... that prolly doesnt help
    but where the hose hooks to the head and the water flows threw i can blow on that and wit the engine in water bubbles come out of it
    please help me i wanna get it fixed so i can hit the river friday and sat night

17. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Berry look on the transom bracket that holds the motor on the transom and there should be a model number. Post that and lets see what year we are working on here and maybe it can be flushed without the dissamble. I have atendency to think every one can jerk one apart like I can . sorry for that. Don't hesitate to ask that is what we are here to help with. We all are weak on somethings and it ain't nothing to worry about.

18. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Bery, if you get bubbles out of the bottom, prop area, then you've got a clear path for water to get pumped up. I suspect you'll need a whole water pump, housing and all.

T-stat = thermostat. It needs to be replaced with the water pump and when you open it up you'll more than likeley see an accumulation of sand grit from running the shallow's.

At the lower unit just forward of the prop, you'll see a plastic cover with holes init for water intake. A phillip[s screw driver will remove them from each side. Inside you'll find a coupling connection that has to be disconnected.

With two 1/2" wrenches, you hold the bottom hex part and unscrew the top part to seporate the shift shaft. Slide the top hex part up the shaft and remove the little plastic keeper on the upper portion of the shaft. Don't loose it, it's very small.

Now you can remove the rest of the bolts holding the lower unit to the midsection. As you remove the lower unit, you also need to slide the upper hex part of the shift shaft coupler of the upper shift shaft, to finish seporating the lower unit from the mid section.

Once you've got the lower unit seporated, you'll see the water pump housing setting on top center of it with the drive shaft coming through it. Remove the bolts holding the pump housing in place and go about removing and replacing the water pump.

Sometimes during this proceedure, it seemes like you need a third hand.

If you understand what was just posted here, give it a try, or take it to a shop. A manual on your engine would help you understand.

I just had a thought. If you can wait a day or so, I've got a 25 evinrude in the shop that needs a water pump change. I'll try to document with pictures for you.

19. coonskinner88

coonskinner88 New Member

State:
    VA
    thank yall for all the info
    one of my budies said that he has done quite a bit of work on boat engines and he said it wouldnt b anyhting to replace it and if i bought the parts and brought it down there it would take him and me about 30 min to do it if it goes right
    just got to get the parts and get um in ther so i can hit the river

20. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Good, I'll be starting that job in the morning. There were other prorities.

Document yours and I'll document mine, and we'll see how closely they relate.

Good luck.