Motor is in the shop!

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Wabash River Bear, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Bob & Bubba,
    I took my "94" Johnson 40 to the shop today for its first real checkup since I bought it last April. It ran fine last summer, just gettin it tuned and checked out for this year.
    I told them to :
    Rebuild, syncronise, and tune the carbs
    Check the timing, change the plugs
    Check the electrical system
    Change the thermostsat
    Check the fuel pump
    Change the water pump
    Change lower unit lube

Is there anything else I should have them check while its in the shop?

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Grease the prop shaft.

I do think you about have it covered.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I guess preventative maintenance is wise, but I have run motors for years and years and years and years just changin' the grease in the foot each year. If your '94 motor was running so good last summer, it would probably serve you well another 10 years. Maybe if it has seen a LOT of salt water it would be different. I've had nothing but good luck all my life with Johnson/Evinrude products. I say if it ain't broke, don't be messin' with it. Just my humble opinion, but I am a cheapskate due to financial constraints. :)
    Bill in SC

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Barry, your doing just fine with a preventive maintenance program.

Keep it up if you can, and you won't have to depend on luck, or someone elses opinion.

5. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks Bob & Willard. I've been either a truck/heavy equip. mechanic, auto mechanic, machinist, welder/fabricater, sprint car owner/mechanic, and now an industrial millwright, all of my life, well at least the last 27 years of it. I am a firm believer in preventive, rather than reactive maintenance. I had to shop and save a long time before I found a nearly perfect, used motor, I am going to make sure it stays that way. If I knew more about the motor, I may have done it myself, but I'm still looking for a factory set of shop manuals for it. Thanks again fellas for your advice.

6. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    Got the call today, motors done! It got all the fixins I listed earlier and got a clean bill of health. In fact he was impressed at how clean and good mechanical condition it was in. There was very little residue in the carbs, everything looked great. He claimed that this "94" model was nearly new, 160# compression, dead even on both cylinders. Goin to pick it up tomarow. Thought I'de give you all an update.

Bob and Willard,
    Just to let ya know what other guys are gettin for their time, the bill was $445.00, including parts. Sound fair for what I had done plus parts? I didnt think it was too bad.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Keep some seafoam in the fuel to keep the system clean and next year all you will need is to change lower unit oil and fill and drain screw gaskets and a new set of plugs and you will be good to go.

8. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    good fishin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! time to try it out :wink:

9. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Most shops around hear charge 70 an hour. I don't know if thats bad or good but I pay it when there is something I can't do.
    Bill

10. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    LOL, sorry, I mean $445.00 "including parts", thats a big difference!